• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ram Bam and Gone- torn down ready for its new life

Gill

As there was no real interest in the tank or any of the mountain of equipment.
I am setting this back up in the morning. So will be up early to prep the tank and hardscape it.
I already grabbed a carrier bag full of live food Tuesday. And will be seeding the tank with all daphnia etc. Plus shrimp love munching on daphnia.

This time I am going to use the Flip Aquatics method, And will be using a Matten Filter. It Will be powered by my Hailea Air Pump with Variable Dial. And will be using 3 Uplifts if I can Do the DIY myself. If Not will Order the ready made Superjet Uplifts. Going to Use the Jap Matt triple pack to get the most efficient filtration.
And I will not secure them, so that they can be lifted out easily for maintenance. Just wedged in.

Hardscape will be using the Gorgonians(these have been sitting outside for months. in my hardscape bin) and a few Lava rocks with Moss attached. As well as a few select root pieces from my collections. This will all be baked in the oven to sterilise it.
Shrimp will be a skittles mix of them, basically what i can get in the area and from forums etc.

Planting will be mosses, Hydrocotyle species and epiphytes attached to the matting, and wood. will prob use bolbitis again as loved how lush that grows. And might try Pinifitida again.
Tons of floaters for grazing and extra filtration.

If anyone has any cuttings or floating plants, please let me know.

Now as I suffer with a severe Neurological condition, Keeping fish and shrimp and aquascaping provides me with a centre. That allows me to calm myself and create a control. I have the pipefish in the bedroom in the bay window box. And When I need to I can sit infront of it and chill. And growing my own live foods helps as well. As I need to remember to maintain these and restart cultures and rotate etc.
I know I will be moving house again within the next 3-4 months, but don't mind that. As moving house with shrimp will be easier than with large amounts of fish. And shrimp can be somewhat neglected during a move without any detriment to them. And they can live happily in a storage tote if need be.

Thanks.
Did not have the Jap Matt I wanted to went with matala matting. Which is tightly spun threads.
It was easy to cut to size and just wedged it on to see how it looked.
Now Planting changed as there was a Java Fern Mother Plant. So got that and a few large Anubias. And some moss.
Got back and started on the tank.
Firstly turned on the heating for the Consevatory, While the Botanicals were simmering away. As well as the Lava rock.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-ifpQ6v-3tqmhkBnwEpV5NaAPsHQiaYs/view?usp=sharing
view

Got the tank cleaned nicely with hot soapy water and then rinsed a few times. this is where a Blanki shines, cuts thru any old dry algae.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-cs3DxwJfCHl6GTvijsxp7psZb8ZMLmV/view?usp=sharing
view

The matting was easy to plant into. Just used a screwdriver to make holes which i could push rhyzomes into. Same with the anubias.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-aXfDX2nPidYNcKNYMMesvA-lzDWQvYd/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-_AOO9VqLpmABPKTGF6gWryWBLdcbyWM/view?usp=sharing
view

Once i was happy with the placement. Added the Java Moss and Fissidens.
Now it is not how i wanted it to look, but it will grow in over time as the plants begin to cover the matting.

The Uplifts changed aswell. Decided to put the MBF into the back chamber and also used a Betta Double Sponge filter and added a pipe to direct the water outlet.
Will need to make a superjet uplift in the morning using upvc piping. Just need to buy the right bits from the DIY store.

Last edited:
That's looking really good, nice work. Funny you mention boatmen as I had a few in my pond this summer, fascinating creatures.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

I added another uplift this aftenoon. Went with 32mm for largest amount of water forced up the tube. That I was comfortable working with. DIY store cut it to size for me.
Was surprisingly easy to make the holes needed using a dremmel tool. And push fit is so handy.
Only thing I forgot was to cut the outlet with an angle, like the professional versions. Will do that another day.
In total this cost me £4. As already had airline tubing.

Really impressed with how much water this moves. So can see why breeders use this type of filter.

And in the long run maintenance will be very easy. Just squeeze out the sponge filters in the back. And never touch the matala matting, as its porous enough to never need rinsing out.
bf8203b2a8faf0f92f953bc83366be4f.jpg
2cbc5dbbdbbaaaceb38e9ec30b9391ed.jpg
a6e4b8f85f9bef63ed6b5bc3044627b8.jpg
36a39eabaf09f4c1cc136807189b47c0.jpg
5dfc7ff65890fb73e12dc9871126146a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Large outflow on the corner. And small in the middle.

Back of the tank.
Moving bed ziss type filter
Betta double sponge filter
32mm uplift

340d27d300015cd5f506efc8e9e7140e.jpg
3d0375efc086ca4fa5cba6f2a6271b10.jpg

Last edited:
Went to b+q this afternoon. And purchased a sheet of polycarbonate roofing sheet.
Measured out the panels needed and cut with a Stanley blade.
Glued it all together and then added bracing and lips for it to sit on.
It slides back and forth easily and lifts off with ease.

36442528472c73bfca62895ec82831e9.jpg

cd7df532939f9c7a4fb27f9375182f10.jpg

c4aaf5249c30f49f37d83f0c2b533bd7.jpg

4f45b68b10079771f34a6a339034c87a.jpg

809afe7de210f7926fe5e42a825abe2a.jpg

adfa8b14f417154ffc2fc1f48a0a533a.jpg

472a1998687cba704f7aa0c21bb81d6b.jpg

Need to attach the moss to the stones and pebbles.

Also added more plants today. Creeping Jenny and hydroctyle to the top.of the matting. So that it grows over the surface of the water.

I am really liking how this is growing. All I am doing is a water change and scooping out the floating plants once a week. And drying them out to make Shrimp food.
I added Loads of Pelia last week. And like that the fish etc move it around the tank. And it looks very Natural in little mounds.
Can Barely see the Matalo Matting now, as plants have grown well.
Moss is started to cover the emersed part of the matting. And also Hydrocotyles aswell. And Have added some Moss from morning walks with Puppy to it, just to see what grows.

That's the OG pad of fissidens from Fil in the bottom right. Take bits off and let it grow.

Long fin WCMM are spawning in it

Each ram has it's own territory. This one likes this bit to itself and keeps it very clean.
Just wish these weren't pricey as 20 each
7c093ed9fd020af8fc6ef48d05cbfe83.jpg

Oh the white fluff is spider egg sacs. Been feeding them to the halfbeaks today. Found them in the peg basket. And did not want to waste

So After Tonight's statement by BOJO, will be staying home for the foreseeable future. And will return to work once advised to.
will be doing alot of scaping etc, and decorating.

So far been Collecting Moss from around the garden, And have added more the Matting above the water line.
Also Added the Pump from the Trickle tower, and used the spray bars that came with it So have 2 more outlets pumping water into different areas of the tank.

Also purchased some of the Red Moss. Had it sitting in a KFC gravy pot on the kitchen window ledge.
Have now added this to the tank. Used a piece of Styrofoam which has a little shelf in it. So that I can have just enough water in it to cover the moss. So Far it is growing well.

Back