• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rain Water - Who uses it in their tanks

sr20det

Do you filter it before use?

I was plannng on filtering via carbon and a 1 or 5 micron filter as well. I have 3 cannister filters.

Any tips too?

Ordered two water butts this weekend, which I should be collecting on Sat or Sun. The weather here predicted suits the setup really, bloody raining all the time, may as well re-cycle :?:

I don't, but it's daft not to really. You can bet though, if I set it all up it won't rain again for months! :lol:

Aqua sobriquet said:
I don't, but it's daft not to really. You can bet though, if I set it all up it won't rain again for months! :lol:
Lol, just checking the forecast, its predicted to be the wet record breaker for July and early August. So can't be bad. Well it is, bloody hate rain

Picked up my rain butt on the weekend, 210l one now to hack up drain pipe to get it to fit. Then good to go.

I think I may need a pump to force water through the filters anyone have any suggestions?

I was going to but worried about pollution. I'd use the prefilter above and possibly run a UV filter for a bit before adding to the tank. I have a water butt and it's absolutely full of bloodworms (or similar) so unsure how clean it is.

Because my tank is only 30L I'm just running tap water through a britta filter first. It's too hard otherwise and it helps filter out some of the nasties.

Morgan Freeman said:
Definitely not daphina, 1cm or so and wormlike.

Does sound like bloodworm, but if I filter through carbon and a 1 micron filter, the likes of Daphnia would even filter out I would have thought and the carbon taking care of any contaminants?

sr20det said:
ian_m said:
Read here about first flush systems to stop your water being contaminated with dirt when it first rains.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=20571&start=10#p209454

I know people who use these.
http://www.rainwaterharvesting.co.uk/fi ... verter.php

Thanks a top link mate, tempted with the first flush kit but all that greif and cost, tempted to go with a RO now :crazy:
Can't remember why my mate had his, I think it was for his green house. Basically keeps 99% of all the mess and dissolved rubbish out of the storage butt, that seems to block any filter instantly when first used. He had a tiny submersible pump that just pumped to trickle feeds on the plants.

ian_m said:
sr20det said:
ian_m said:
Read here about first flush systems to stop your water being contaminated with dirt when it first rains.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=20571&start=10#p209454

I know people who use these.
http://www.rainwaterharvesting.co.uk/fi ... verter.php

Thanks a top link mate, tempted with the first flush kit but all that greif and cost, tempted to go with a RO now :crazy:
Can't remember why my mate had his, I think it was for his green house. Basically keeps 99% of all the mess and dissolved rubbish out of the storage butt, that seems to block any filter instantly when first used. He had a tiny submersible pump that just pumped to trickle feeds on the plants.

My plan was to filter all through carbon, but the first flush system is appealing, but 50 squid, I can buy an RO for that sort of money, rain water was supposed to be a cheaper less wasteful option :( , wonder if I could make something up DIY :?:

sr20det said:
My plan was to filter all through carbon, but the first flush system is appealing, but 50 squid, I can buy an RO for that sort of money, rain water was supposed to be a cheaper less wasteful option :( , wonder if I could make something up DIY :?:
There are two designs I have seen on the Internet somewhere...

First is a DIY "rocking bit of gutter pipe", first water fills a container up that pulls down a length of gutter to divert water into water butt.
Second is a floating ball in section of pipe. Water fills pipe, ball floats and blocks top of pipe allowing water to bypass.

I am sure with Google, good bodging skills and access to a proper builders merchant you could invent something.

ian_m said:
sr20det said:
There are two designs I have seen on the Internet somewhere...

First is a DIY "rocking bit of gutter pipe", first water fills a container up that pulls down a length of gutter to divert water into water butt.
Second is a floating ball in section of pipe. Water fills pipe, ball floats and blocks top of pipe allowing water to bypass.

I am sure with Google, good bodging skills and access to a proper builders merchant you could invent something.

indeed, a ping pong ball, and some pipe work could be utilised here ;)

Just tested my rain water, assume yours would be similar so hope this helps.

KH 70ppm

GH 125ppm

PH 7.0

Tap water (Britta filtered)

KH 215ppm

GH Off the chart!

PH 6.6!?

So it looks like using a Britta was a complete waste of time, aside from dropping the PH. Straight out of the tap it's 7.4.

So looks like it might be worth switching to rainwater too!

Well, I just went with TDS and it was 17ppm, through carbon and filteration I reckon I could get to 10, which is near enough RO water.

My tap is 350ish TDS, so as you can imagine massive difference.

You have to consider that the first flush system may cost the same as an RO unit but the rainwater system won't cost anything to run like an RO unit and no waste water!

Andy

awtong said:
You have to consider that the first flush system may cost the same as an RO unit but the rainwater system won't cost anything to run like an RO unit and no waste water!

Andy
Indeed and no maintenance as such, or recharging of elements. And one butt storing 210l of water its happy days imo. The amount of rain we get is ridiculous, so may as well make the most of it.

Back