• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Rain water only 5 ppm ?

eminor

Hello, i live in a city with factory nearby, is it possible that the rain water ppm is so low ?

i tested the °KH it change color after 1 drop, so kh <= 1, it's better than the RO water i used in the past, the roof is in glass, maybe that's why ?

MichaelJ

Hello, i live in a city with factory nearby, is it possible that the rain water ppm is so low ?
I've tested my rain water a couple of times where I live. TDS came out very low as well (around 5 ppm, as I remember). If your rainwater is clean, it's close to ideal as a starting point for remineralization if you can collect and store it in a consistent manner. Those are big IF's however, but of course, you can always use rainwater when it's available and RO when not - say, during the summer where precipitation is low and in the winter where it might not be possible due to freezing etc.

Cheers,
Michael

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
is it possible that the rain water ppm is so low ?
It is. Rainwater is naturally distilled so it will only pick up hardness if it is contact with <"limestone containing dust"> etc. Rain water is naturally slightly acidic from the small amount of dissolved CO2.
i live in a city with factory nearby,
The dKH test measures alkalinity, so that if the factory emission was sulphur dioxide (SO2) rich it would make the <"rain more acid"> and lower the alkalinity reading.

cheers Darrel

Last edited: