• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Radion G4 Pro and Mobius 'planted sunrise' CoralLab preset?

Franks

I'll explain more on my journal when I have more time to explain some crazy news which happened over the weekend and to document things properly, but for now I'm trying to transition a well established planted tank from a G2 Radion running at around 80% for 6 hours to a latest gen G4Pro which is Mobius ready out of the box.

I notice it has a preset profile by along with some nice detail on planted tanks and what looks like a solid profile choice but then it all goes quite scientific and offers sinusoidal, parabolic or linear curves to preset if going with a custom profile. Has anyone played with these custom settings?

I don't want to induce an algae bloom so translating the G2 power output to the G4 with care (50w Vs 95w) and will monitor over the coming days.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230306-223956.png
    Screenshot_20230306-223956.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 169
Whilst I can't offer any specific advice other than perhaps scaling the power settings (so if you had the G2 at 80% = 40W, then set the G4 to 45% ~ 40W), I'd like to read about your detailed experiences with the light.

EDIT: Sorry, I was getting confused, I thought you had the latest G5 FW which is quite a change from the older style.

Last edited:
Cheers Wookie.
The G2 is a great light and the G4 Pro a massive improvement in power output and also better coverage offering more uniform PAR via those crazy optics (see video) which should help colour up some difficult plants on the edge of the G2 pattern.
I saw one at The Abyss running an identical tank spec to mine 150L 2 ft deep cube and the colour of the Wallichi was insane. The guy who set it up didn't run it so hard, so I can only conclude that the PAR is much more evenly spread from G2 to G4pro. For me to achieve that, I'd probably needed to have run my G2 at 100% but run the risk of being far too strong in the centre region of the tank.

I looked up Aquarium Composition Lincolnshire and it seems they build tanks? Not quite sure how they are involved with setting light profiles for Ecotech but I'm interested in hearing any further information if anyone has any?

The G5 on paper does indeed sound impressive!

Attachments

• PXL_20230306_223718552_exported_22374.jpg
    PXL_20230306_223718552_exported_22374.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
I was triggered to research some more and the following videos explain in great detail the science in these kinds of lights which I find really interesting. I'm sure most of you already know the science behind it all so apologies in advance.

Dennis Wong - Obvs :)
Pascoe's take

Funnily enough, it was the show tank in The Abyss Stockport that got me into the Radion way of lighting a few years ago. It ran a G4 which was brand new at the time. I bought a G2 from one of the mods on here and it was superb but running it at 80% of its intensity across most "colours" evenly for a nice natural render. Comparing it to the rendition of The Abyss tank which was only running at 45% on a G4 and the difference was outstanding. Sadly, they swapped it for an AI PrimeHD light and the plants suffered and looked drab and algae started to take hold. They've now put in a G5 but the plant selection isn't quite as nice as it was so doesn't show off the colours in the same way as the previous selection.

Thanks

I'm putting this here for others as it's really hard to find proper info about these lights on the internet. Turns out my old Radion is a G3 judging my the optics. The PAR improvments on the G4 with HEI lenses is a vast improvement.

Attachments

• Radion PAR spread.PNG
    Radion PAR spread.PNG
    422.9 KB · Views: 61
Back