• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nathanh2150

Been given 2x rabbit snails about an inch in size
What would there care requirements be?
I have read that they eat dead leaves
Alge wafers
Fish food flake food
Vegetables
any advice would be much appreciated
🤪

I have some of Steve's home-bred snails! They eat algae wafers, sinking loach pellets, and steamed veg (like courgette or a leaf) once a week, which they love, and they seem to eat dead plant matter too as I never have to take any out of the tank during weekly maintenance, oh and also dried green or brown leaves (I dry green fruit tree leaves, walnut seems to work great, they're primarily for otos but the snails like them too). They live with shrimp so they all eat the same kind of thing. They live in my very hard London tap, and the water is about 24 - 25, as I read they like it quite warm. They haven't eaten any of my plants, and they're very cute.

Last edited:
Great snails for the aquarium, hard water preferred as this helps prevent pitting and their shells degrading, adding crushed coral to the back of the tank helps,
Also try to feed some high calcium content food, like Hikari crab cuisine, shrimp king snail stixx, but most shrimp food will be eaten
For breeding you’ll need a group to ensure you get a mix of male and female snails
They are a live bearer and with give birth to little versions of themselves

HTH Steve

When I put the snails into my aquarium they had a brown darkish shell they moved around the tank for a bit before being dormant they haven’t moved for the past 4 hours now one is half under the substrate and the other sitting on top of the substrate the shell seems ok as done some research but looks a little more yellow from when I popped them into my tank .. any suggestions?

Mine were quite dormant for a few hours when I first got them, they were quite cold from the post and seemed a bit shocked (tho the water was a bit cooler then). They do sometimes dig down into the substrate a bit. I've never noticed mine changing shell colour, I wouldn't think the shell was a thing to worry about it you have the hard water, and that would be a long term thing.

Last edited:
Ok then shall keep an eye on them and see what there like over the next couple of days 🙂

Malaysian trumpet snails are livebearers as well and they spawn constantly. When I first got them they went dormant as well and hid in sand and hey wouldn’t come out at all. After couple weeks they have been walking around and grazing just fine. I constantly see babies in my tank :)

Back