• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Quick.... can you clean plant cuttings of snails?

Something with copper in would kill them, Panacur did a pretty good job on some MTS I had when I was trying to treat planaria and didn't check what would happen to the snails.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

Dip the plants in dilute potassium permanganate solution, works well. Also dilute bleach. Also dilute solution of Seachem Excel (gluteraldehyde polymer mix) works as well. Bit of research required to work out correct concentrations will be required.

The PP would be the softest alternative. All others can go sideways if concentration is too high or one leaves the plants too long in solution.
For algae purposes on slow growing plants I would normally use 15 ml bleach : 500 ml water. I would chronometer 1min30s. No more, sometimes even slightly less, then rinse thoroughly. If for snails I would largely decrease the dosing of bleach and leave a bit longer

Personally I don't think there is such a thing as a pest snail, but that aside, I have found one of the best ways to treat plants for hitchhiking critters is carbonated water.

A few 2 litre bottles of cheap carbonated mineral water from the supermarket is fairly cost effective. Put the plants in a jug or bowl and cover with the fizzy water for 24 hours, drain and repeat for another 24 hours (or as many times as you like).

The carbonated water appears to be harmless to the plants and moss I've tested it on, and has no risk of transferring anything to the new tank, but no living creatures can survive in that concentration of CO2 for that period of time in my experience. It kill snails, worms and scuds.

Hi all,
Personally I don't think there is such a thing as a pest snail, but that aside, I have found one of the best ways to treat plants for hitchhiking critters is carbonated water.
<"Same for me">, in both cases. There is a <"huge amount of dissolved CO2 in a carbonated drink">.
................*I don't know how much dissolved CO2 there is in a can of coke, but <"my guess is quite a lot"> scrub that, it is an incredible amount . I've just found that coke link, which says "0.14mol CO2 in 1000mL".

The RAM of carbon (C) is 12 and of oxygen (O) = 16, and we have two of them so that is 32 and the RMM of CO2 is 12+32 = 44, 44 x 0.14 is 6.16g and mg/L is equivalent to ppm. So you have about 6160 ppm of CO2 in the can, although 0.15% (about 0.01g) of this will be dissolved carbonic acid (H2CO2) and some of the gaseous CO2 will be in the headspace of the can above the liquid...........

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
A few 2 litre bottles of cheap carbonated mineral water
Hi all,

<"Same for me">, in both cases. There is a <"huge amount of dissolved CO2 in a carbonated drink">.

cheers Darrel
And that is how injected CO2 in aquaria was born thanks to Takashi Amano adding carbonate water to his tanks.

Last edited:
Back