• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Questions about plant collections

PedroB

Hi there,

I'm about to restart my 80x40x40cm high energy tank.

What plant collection would suit it better - 30" or 36"?~
I'm guessing since your standard tanks are aquascaper sized, maybe the 30" or smaller would be enough due to my tank being shallower and narrower.

Thank you

I would tend to agree, but I don't want more plants than I can actually find a place for.

I think I'll go with a smaller pack and add a few of my favourites in.

I would tend to agree, but I don't want more plants than I can actually find a place for.

I think I'll go with a smaller pack and add a few of my favourites in.
Think if MOE is anything to go by I got good value but way to many and ending up giving quite a few away

Hi Pedro,

Take a look at the nature collections - particularly if you’re using wood and rock in your layout as it includes plenty of plants for attaching to wood/rock. I’d recommend the 36” collection. More plants makes start up easier and less chance of algae.

https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/classic-nature-style-collection-for-36-tank-3608-p.asp

It has less in the way of foreground/carpeting plants so you could consider adding a few extra individually. Unless you’re planning an open foreground with decorative gravel/sand instead :thumbup:

Hi Pedro,

Take a look at the nature collections - particularly if you’re using wood and rock in your layout as it includes plenty of plants for attaching to wood/rock. I’d recommend the 36” collection. More plants makes start up easier and less chance of algae.

https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/classic-nature-style-collection-for-36-tank-3608-p.asp

It has less in the way of foreground/carpeting plants so you could consider adding a few extra individually. Unless you’re planning an open foreground with decorative gravel/sand instead :thumbup:

Thank you for your reply.

My tank is only 32", in terms of base area it's marginally larger than the Aquascaper 600, which is 24".

Would you recommend the 36" collection for an Aquascaper 600?

Hi Pedro,

Yes you could easily fit in the. 36” collection. You may also wish to add some more stem plants. Perhaps a red one, ludwigia mini super red?

edit - may be worth visiting AG in Huntingdon. You can choose your plants then rather than ordering a collection.

Hi Pedro,

Yes you could easily fit in the. 36” collection. You may also wish to add some more stem plants. Perhaps a red one, ludwigia mini super red?

edit - may be worth visiting AG in Huntingdon. You can choose your plants then rather than ordering a collection.

Thank you,

I'm planning on visiting next week. I might not be going with the collections as I'm not the biggest fan of cryptos.
The ludwigia mini super red looks good, and I'll probably add some pogostemon helferi and a carpeting plant.

Just a suggestion: If the 36" collection is recommended for 24" tanks, why not change the recommendation altogether?

Cool. You’ll find it much easier to see and choose in person :)

The collections are designed for people who wish to add plants to their fish tank, or wish to use it as a base to then add a few more plants that they would like to try.
Either way they’ll be reasonably heavily planted with plants picked that go nicely together.
The 30 or 36 inch collection would be fine for your 80cm tank for this purpose

If someone wishes to design an aquascape based around the plants (rather than fish) you can plant as densely as you like. AG can assist in plant selection to make it easier!

Last edited:
I might not be going with the collections as I'm not the biggest fan of cryptos.
I’m seldom a fan of “collections”
They’re not the easiest for shops to put together/maintain ... I suspect it’s often novices buying them, so then it needs to be dead simple plants ... and economic as again many novices are looking for budget first ... and plants that are almost always in stock (at a suitable cost) ... AG seems to do a decent job of it ;)

As “not a novice” - there’s almost always other plants I’d prefer and I generally have some idea of a planting scheme

As for how many plants to place in a tank upon startup :D
check out the latest Green Aqua video (apologies to AG for posting this in your forum - feel free to remove)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature...ZZmYc3JFmmJFf_L3Y6hMVeQEJrr4GwDH-xKiDQ1cC6gRM

Tommy plants with room for plants to fill in :) (more my style)
Balazs always has the tank looking completely full directly after planting :wideyed:

Finally travelled to Aquarium Gardens to see it in its full glory.

The display tanks are amazing and Dave was the coolest guy ever.

I might have bought fewer plants than I needed, but that just means another trip to the showroom, which I can't complain about.

I'll be attempting a Dry Start Method with this one.

Once again, great store and thanks to Dave for the great input.

Attachments

• IMG_20190918_153527.jpg
    IMG_20190918_153527.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20190918_153532.jpg
    IMG_20190918_153532.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 196
Thanks for your visit Pedro and great to meet you :) You get ultimate choice picking your plants directly in store.

Good luck with your dry start, it’s great for carpet plants and getting them going. Make sure you let some fresh air in each day and a small air gap for the rest of the time will help.

Cheers,
Dave

Back