• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question about drop checker

Rasmusm

Hi all :)

I recently decided to convert my low tech to gas.
Tank was running low light and ferts fine with not many algeas, so I do not plan to mess with the lighting, as that seems good.

I just wanted to get a confirmation that I'm doing this right :)
I got a co2art regulator yesterday, aswell as their drop checker kit. I mixed the blue fluid 50:50 with demineralized water from the local store, to get it green at 15ppm, right?
Bubble counter is set at 3bps, tank is 576 with 112l sump. Co2 ran for 12hours this was the color now. I plan to run co2 24/7 since I have bad bba experience with shutting co2 off at night (10yrs ago)

Also pH measured 7.58 yesterday, and today 7.08, so a good 0.5pH drop

I was aiming for 15ppm I think that should be fine when lights are still low. What color is this drop checker? Did I do it right?

Have a nice day :)

From Rasmus
Denmark

Attachments

• 20220203_052822.jpg
    20220203_052822.jpg
    721.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 20220203_052834.jpg
    20220203_052834.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 20220131_182530.jpg
    20220131_182530.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 130
Hi Rasmus
Have a look at this Tutorial below!
hoggie

Hi, thanks :)
So drop checker is basically a ph indicator, and since I don't know my kh I will not know how much ppm co2?

I actually just found a test report for my well water, it says 48mS/m, not sure if that can be converted to kH?

Think Hufsa
Hi, thanks :)
So drop checker is basically a ph indicator, and since I don't know my kh I will not know how much ppm co2?

I actually just found a test report for my well water, it says 48mS/m, not sure if that can be converted to kH?
Yes, it's essentially a pH indicator. But you know the KH and more importantly you know that a) it's a bicarbonate only solution and b) dissolved CO2 is the only major influence on pH. You know the KH because the indicator solution has been created to have a KH of 4°dH. By diluting it with 50% distilled water you (hope to be) are at 2°dH. So by lowering the KH you will get the same color change (pH) for 15ppm CO2 instead of 30ppm CO2.

I presume Hufsa meant to day to add a few extra drops to the drop checker not the bubble counter. This is because currently the color intensity is very low and hard to read.

Alternatively, I know aqua rebell has an already mixed 20mg/L CO2 checker fluid. It may be worth looking for it to avoid errors.

Thanks for clarifying :) I measured exactly 1ml og the drop checker solution and exactly 1ml of distilled water. I just find it hard to see the color of it maybe it's more than 15ppm and turning into yellowish?

I'll try adding a few more drops, worth a try :)

Hi all :)

I recently decided to convert my low tech to gas.
Tank was running low light and ferts fine with not many algeas, so I do not plan to mess with the lighting, as that seems good.

I just wanted to get a confirmation that I'm doing this right :)
I got a co2art regulator yesterday, aswell as their drop checker kit. I mixed the blue fluid 50:50 with demineralized water from the local store, to get it green at 15ppm, right?

I would strongly suggest you buy a calibrated reference solution to use in the drop checker instead of diluting it or making your own. A diluted solution is harder to read and you risk contaminating it, which can invalidate the readings. You can buy reference solutions from several brands at least for 20ppm and 30ppm CO2. The usual one is 30ppm. If you get the 20ppm version, then you would be aiming at a green colour for ~15ppm and and lime green for ~20 ppm CO2.

Thanks, yea I will look into that :) ! Thanks all

Just a quick following up question.
I found this on Amazon.de (I'm from denmark)
It says 20mg/L is that the same as 20ppm ?

I cannot see the link you posted. But yes, 20 mg/L = 20 ppm (1 ppm = one in one million (1x10^6), which is the same ratio as 1 mg in 1 litre).

You will find this on amazon.de. A bottle will last forever...
1643887394951.png

I found the aqua rebell one on there, will order the 20mg/L :) i had a bottle 10yrs old hehe. But fluid was pale and clear, so no good anymore. Thanks

Try turning off adblock for this website :)
I have more than one layer of adblockers and site blockers ;) This one continues to be blocked after I disable the adblocker in the browser, which means it is the list of nasties and is being blocked elsewhere :)

Back