• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question about cleaning filter media

ojustaboo

Like we're always told, I use water from the fish tank whenever I need to wash my external filter media.

But it got me thinking.

As when I've cleaned my filters, I put them back empty, and then suck the outlet hose to fill the filter from the fish tank (before I do a water change), is it really necessary to rinse the media in tank water, rather than under a running tap?

Is it because by washing under a tap, I am destroying all signs of bacteria whereas washing in tank water, keeps the bacteria alive?

Is it because by washing under a tap, I am destroying all signs of bacteria whereas washing in tank water, keeps the bacteria alive?

Yeah, I think that's the reasoning behind it.

Cleaning the filter medium mean, from my point of view, to eliminate the mechanical deposits from the particles of medium. So, simple using a bucket with water from the tank in which filter medium is pushed a few times should be enough (if medium are in a basket). Else, you may use another way that I saw to one of my friends : put the filter medium in a large sieve and pour water from the tank over it a few times. In all cases, if the filter is cleaned regularly, not much rough deposits will have to be washed.

The coarse sponge I just run under tapwater, the Bio media like sintered glass I put in a small bucket with some tank water and swill about with my hand. I base this on it rubbing it together leaves some fresh new surfaces for bacteria to colonise a bit like would happen with a sand bed filter. Don't know if it makes any difference but I do it anyway.

Depending on which Bio media you use you can split it in net bags rinse in aquarium water.When you feel it’s clogged or or not as effective replace one bag at a time periodically so you always have a safe level in the filter,my usual way with sponges is the first coarse a good rinse under tap water ,as Average White Bloke does,the next ones a light rinse in aquarium water taken from the surface of the tank as these will act as bio and mechanical filtration

Back