• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Python and python type water changers.

oldbloke

Does anyone use these type of changers? I would be a bit concerned about variations in water temperature. Or maybe I just have a crap boiler.

It was always emphasised that fish are very prone to sudden water temperature changes, but watching them dart from the edges of ponds and rivers in hot summer sun to the colder depths below made me wonder a bit.

I don't think the sudden water temp changes are a big issue as long as they are within the natural ranges found in rivers and oceans.

I went on a fishing trip to Canada on the river Lawrence in the heat off the day we would swim in the river, the temp near the bank was pretty warm and if you went out 10m the water was much cooler. The small inlets on the rivers where the fish spawn will also get much warmer in the summer to. So there will be places where the temp off the water varies 10 degrees Celsius easy. Also it will be species dependant also which each can tolerate.
Temps in the sea vary a lot too close to land, having scuba dived too there is quite a sudden change in water temps at various depths.
The livestock we keep have been on this planet a long time and will be able to tolerate quick changes in temp as long as certain limits aren't crossed IMO. Yes they may flicker a bit on the change but so do we

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

I think it is not particularly aimed to an overall fish weakness why we need to keep temps as stable as possible. Experience has shown that severe fluctuating temperatures in a small closed invironment such as an aquarium can cause infections more rapidly to occure than in nature. Imagine, it is actualy a simple sum of numbers, 10 parasites in a 100 litre aqaurium, easily could be in comparison with 1 parasite per litre a 10 fold of concentration compared to a natural invironment with several millions of cubic water containing a million parasites. So the chances of a fish catching any of these is much greater. For example white spot is one of those parasites thriving at colder temperatures and large fluctuations of the aquarium water makes this paraiste multiply and fish more susceptible to catch one.

Ich is the most common dissease in aquarium hobby, but catching a fish in nature having it is rather very rare, if you do it will be 99% a very old and sick fish. :)

Many people do not realise that a smaller body of water is much more and easier to render unstable.. That's why smaller aquariums are in general more difficult and require more attention to keep healthy. :thumbup: So stability and a strict maintenance regime is a must.. To have a little bit control of a lot of things you can't see with the naked eye..

Last edited:
Oh!? :) And imagine having 30 fish on 100 litre probably is about the same sum. Easily a 10 fold of concentration compaired to a natural body of water. If not more..

Agree with you zozo 100% we don't really won't sudden changes in our tanks pararameters OFC. But small localised temp fluctuations when doing water changes with have a transient affect IMO. When i do a WC on my 500l tank i drain say 200l (tops up my pond) then i connect to my thermistor valve (old shower valve) and i just let the water run, i don't let it get at it's working temp so there will be a larger temp difference at first whilst the hot water reaches the regulator valve then it's within a few degrees of tanks temp. So that's what I'm on about so livestock can easily make a choice.
I am planning on having my tanks temp variable a little day and night settings by a couple/few degrees once i get my thermistor for my PLC. Already have the heaters switched off during the initial CO2 injection period till optimum pH reached.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

I guess for everyone doing water change straight from the tap than temperatur drop is something you can't overcome. I do not realy have experience with how far one can go.. In general the information to be found is 5°C is acceptable.. I can do a 50% regularly over the year it's no more than 2°C differnce. I kinda keep it like that and do less volume a lot more often during the winter periode when tap water is very cold. My tanks temp is +/- 22°C, it never drops bellow 19°C while doing a WC.

I can't remember the last time i had Ich, but this is a infection where temp fluctuation often is the cause in combination with bad maintenance. I had it a few times as starter over 35 years ago.. At that time i also didn't always knew what i was doing or thought to knew something which was absolutely wrong.. But it definitively wasn't water change, that was a big nono back then.. It could have been temp related because of an underated heater. Because those days we didn't have a central heated house and water temps in the aquarium were obviously severely influenced with the indoor night and day temps with ice flowers onthe windows during the night. :) Since everybody was snorring under the woll nobody ever noticed. Till the fish were sick.. :) If i remeber correctly, back then the relation temperature and Ich weren't yet recognized.. It was much later i red about it for the first time..

Back