• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Pygmy Island - 60P low light scape

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
I'm obsessed with these Pygmies.
Can you get hold of some <"structural leaf litter">, Magnolia grandiflora, Guava (Psidium spp.) or Indian Almond (Terminalia catappa) etc?

It really helps <"with long term maintenance">, have a look at Larry Waybright's (@apistomaster) comments in the linked PlanetCatfish thread. Larry is about as good as it gets in terms of fish maintenance.

The other thing that makes a real difference is a <"Banana or micro-worm"> (Panagrellus spp.) culture. I don't have any Grindal Worms (Enchytraeus buchholzi) at the moment, but the Pygmy Cories have <"carried on spawning"> on a largely Daphnia, <"Bugbites"> and Banana-worm diet.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

Libba

Hi all,

Can you get hold of some <"structural leaf litter">, Magnolia grandiflora, Guava (Psidium spp.) or Indian Almond (Terminalia catappa) etc?

It really helps <"with long term maintenance">, have a look at Larry Waybright's (@apistomaster) comments in the linked PlanetCatfish thread. Larry is about as good as it gets in terms of fish maintenance.

The other thing that makes a real difference is a <"Banana or micro-worm"> (Panagrellus spp.) culture. I don't have any Grindal Worms (Enchytraeus buchholzi) at the moment, but the Pygmy Cories have <"carried on spawning"> on a largely Daphnia, <"Bugbites"> and Banana-worm diet.

cheers Darrel

I'm a bit hesitant to add leaves to the tank because I'm not a fan of tannins. I love the live food suggestion though. I've just ordered a microworm culture to start with and then I'll give daphnia a try after that.

Last edited:

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
I'm a bit hesitant to add leaves to the tank because I'm not a fan of tannins.
Some leaves don't add much colour, in the UK the one people usually use is Beech (Fagus sylvatica), but I'm guessing that isn't available to you. Personally <"I like some humic substances"> so I always have a bit of tint.

I'm pretty sure that "Guava" (either Psidium guajava or P. cattleyanum ) won't <"colour the water much">.

cheers Darrel