• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Pygmy Island - 60P low light scape

Libba

20220806_154307.jpg

Last edited:

plantnoobdude

For some reason these posts aren’t coming in to my “what’s new” section. Anyone else experiencing the same? Anyway, @Libba beautiful tank!

I do have another question however,at what percentage do you run the Chihiros?

_Maq_

I wonder if the Bucephalandras would like sitting on limestone? (I admit at once that I'm largely unsuccessful Buce keeper...)

Libba

I wonder if the Bucephalandras would like sitting on limestone? (I admit at once that I'm largely unsuccessful Buce keeper...)

Time will tell, I guess. I'd have thought these rocks were mostly clay but I'm not a geologist.

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
I'd have thought these rocks were mostly clay but I'm not a geologist.
I think the rocks are likely to be limestone, but it isn't a material I've ever owned and I know <"that opinion varies">. I'm not sure it is a problem either way, because I think that the geology in Borneo (Kalimantan), where they grow <"is also limestone">.

I think that some members (@GHNelson ?) have grown Bucephalandra spp. without any problem in hard water?

cheers Darrel

_Maq_

I'd have thought these rocks were mostly clay but I'm not a geologist.
You can drop an acid (common vinegar would do) on any rock and you'll see - if it's effervescing the rock contains carbonates.

KirstyF

Hi all,

I think the rocks are likely to be limestone, but it isn't a material I've ever owned and I know <"that opinion varies">. I'm not sure it is a problem either way, because I think that the geology in Borneo (Kalimantan), where they grow <"is also limestone">.

I think that some members (@GHNelson ?) have grown Bucephalandra spp. without any problem in hard water?

cheers Darrel

I’ve got around a dozen types of Buce all growing fine in KH/GH of 10-11 so I suspect it is not an issue. 😊

Libba

Hi all,

cheers Darrel

Hard water is no concern for me, Darrel. My tank water is 3dGH and 1dKH, same as my tap. I'll let you draw your own conclusions on whether those rocks are limestone ;)

Libba

I'm obsessed with these Pygmies. I think they'll become the protagonists of this journal
20220923_181627.jpg

20220923_184420.jpg

Last edited: