• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pygmy cory infertile eggs

I have some elegans fry on the go. A well as an alder cone I used a couple of Jack Fruit Leaves, as well as oak or birch and I check in some floating plants and mossy plants, anything with wee critters. Quite quickly I put them into a shrimp tank. Usually they then disappear for weeks. They may reappear as fry, or not.
Do you have substrate? I read something suggesting sand improved survival over bare bottom, but there are others doing to opposite. I was wondering whether to add a dusting of sand.

Do you have substrate? I read something suggesting sand improved survival over bare bottom, but there are others doing to opposite. I was wondering whether to add a dusting of sand.
I think most breeders agree that sand is important. Rob McLure mentioned that he had fry develop with damaged pelvic fins when in bare bottom tanks. I normally add just enough to lightly cover the bottom of a hang on breeder box, otherwise it quickly becomes a horrible bacteria breeding ground.

For the first 5 days I don't have sand, I have large leaves. Sometimes they wriggle below them, sometimes on top of them. I have quite a lot of leaves and floating plants in there so the light isn't too bright. I think for some of that first period they are living off the egg sac. I perhaps should have sand, but personally I've always felt the key was plants and leaves for micro foods–I'm not much use with green water or brine shrimp. I've given up on feeder boxes that hang inside tanks, I find a floating Tupperware easier. Then after 5-7 days I put them in a small existing tank with no fish, only shrimps and snails. In the Tupperware I change most of the water daily, sometimes adding tank water, sometimes clean water. To be honest I've always found it very easy. I'm sure I lose some, but I have too many now, from successive broods, and want someone in Scotland to accept some as a gift! Some of mine are a little small as adults, but perfectly happy and healthy. I'm guessing they didn't get enough food in the first 6 months.

Back