• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

purigen

Nick16

im about to set up a 450L tank and i need some purigen.

what kind of amounts am i going to need? i dont want to go mental and totally overboard.
do i need 100ml, 250ml, 500ml?

really, hmm. i was thinking 250ml would be enough. its not cheap stuff.

does it do the same job as zeolite?

right, thank you.

what the differance between purigen and zeolite. dont they both do smilar things and can both be recharged?

Both can be recharged.

Zeolite will absorb(?) ammonia, which is a very helpful feature in an immature tank. Rather than recharge, I leave mine in as filter media once it is exhausted. Removing it for recharge could result in the removal of a fair proportion of your filter bacteria. People sometimes talk about how Zeolite shouldn`t be used as it starves the bacteria colony. Their argument is the rise in ammonia levels when the Zeolite is removed, but I believe this is just the result of removing a percentage of the bacteria colony that has inhabited the Zeolite. With all that ammonia stored in the Zeolite, why wouldn`t nitrifying bacteria want to move in? It is great stuff because it takes ammonia out of the water column, making it unavailable to algae.

Purigen is another product I use, but it is different to Zeolite. It removes DOC and various organic water discolourants to give gin clear water. When I do a water change, the water I throw away is clearer than the replacement from the tap. I usually have one bag in use, with another one recharged in standby, to reduce the number of times I open up the filter.

Dave.

so if i get say 250ml of purigen and then say 1kg of zeolite i will be sorted.

cheers for that.

I think the Zeolite can leach IIRC Ammonia back into the tank when its exhausted so you might be best off with Purigen :thumbup: I have 250ml of Purigen on my 200 liter tank and it works very well.

Ross said:
I think the Zeolite can leach IIRC Ammonia back into the tank when its exhausted so you might be best off with Purigen :thumbup: I have 250ml of Purigen on my 200 liter tank and it works very well.

Definitely not in my experience. As of yet, I haven`t come across any substantiated evidence of ammonia leaching back in to the water column.

Zeolite and Purigen do different jobs, and I always use both in my tanks these days.

Dave.

Back