• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Purigen advice

nayr88

Hi everyone I have a small bag of Purigen I used in a previous set up, it's been about a year since I've used it and it's just sat dry in a box. The sand stuff Inside is quite dark.

I'd like to use it again so was wondering do I just plop in back in the filter or would you guys recommend a bleach wash? What's the ratio of bleach to water and what do I use to de-bleach it? I'm sure back when I got it people spoke about re using the stuff after a bleach bath?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I soak mine in Tesco plain bleach for 24 hours either thick bleach with 50% water or just thin bleach. Wash then soak overnight in strong Prime dechlorinator solution. Rinse and pop back in filter.

I soak mine in Tesco plain bleach for 24 hours either thick bleach with 50% water or just thin bleach. Wash then soak overnight in strong Prime dechlorinator solution. Rinse and pop back in filter.

Does yours clean completely all the way through? I can never get mine completely clean, some parts still look a bit brown.

Cheers you lot, will sort clean it up today :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From this;
52f6af7c-a6f0-4199-b3ac-1b39ae803bb1_zpsd6715c1a.jpg

To this:
176c8085-6f9d-49ae-9134-98297988b5fe_zps6e06afd0.jpg

Its all about getting the process right, make sure you rinse the old dirt away many times with fresh water before you use all that prime to get rid of the last traces of bleach, I also use RO water during the final stage along with the prime.

Back