• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Purge help?

Big G

Hello all,

Wondering if someone can help.

Want to purge gas from CO2ART SE regulator without breaking any seals if possible. Still uaable gas in the bottle.

Got a Sodstream adaptor on it.

I shut the middle, large black dial down and ran the bubble trim which ran the working pressure down to zero.

Thought I would then shut the Sodastream bottle valve on the top of the adaptor, open the big dial with the bubble trim dial open and it would purge gas from bottle valve through and out all the other gates to air so the only pressure and gas remained in the bottle.

As you can see I've still got a reading on the bottle pressure side.

I'm hoping I've just made a fixable stupid mistake and not blown something or damaged the gauge.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

Cheers

BG

Attachments

• 20210108_112911.jpg
    20210108_112911.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139
Mine can sometimes take a while to settle on zero with the sodastream setup. You have disconnected all co2 tubing?

Think it might have something to do with the needle valve needing a certain pressure to let gas through (Think i read that somewhere but may be totally wrong)

That's what mine does too, it sits just above 0 so should be fine.

I usually:
1) turn off the main valve on the bottle
2) reduce the working pressure knob as much as it will go.
3) leave the solonoid on until no gas comes out of diffuser and the working preassure reading gets close to 0 as possible. (You shouldnt have to open the needle vavle more)
4) after 10mins i swap the bottles.

sounds like you've done it right, close off Sodastream (clockwise), open main valve, open bubble trim. make sure solenoid is also powered on.
might just be taking some time to reduce.
Did you mean other way around? i.e. anticlockwise for 'OFF'.
Image with the shutoff thread sitting lower is fully on - so I though that would be pressing fown on Sodstream pin and opening valve. Image with it sitting higher is off so thread withdrawn from sodastream oin= no gas?

Was working on 'rightly tighty ' but that might not be it.

Other theory is that valve on Sodastream bottle is sticky and not popping out. Physically removing adaptor and regulator assembly would then just vent bottle to air until empty or adaptor replaced.

Thunk I'm going to have to sacrifice the gas or one of the two two seals to solve this in the end.

Bg

Attachments

• 20210108_184433.jpg
    20210108_184433.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210108_184502.jpg
    20210108_184502.jpg
    917.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210108_184523.jpg
    20210108_184523.jpg
    939.5 KB · Views: 94
Mine can sometimes take a while to settle on zero with the sodastream setup. You have disconnected all co2 tubing?

Think it might have something to do with the needle valve needing a certain pressure to let gas through (Think i read that somewhere but may be totally wrong)
Inyeresting theory. I might try just removing the whole bubble counter assembly and give that a shot.
Tah. Bg

That's what mine does too, it sits just above 0 so should be fine.

I usually:
1) turn off the main valve on the bottle
2) reduce the working pressure knob as much as it will go.
3) leave the solonoid on until no gas comes out of diffuser and the working preassure reading gets close to 0 as possible. (You shouldnt have to open the needle vavle more)
4) after 10mins i swap the bottles.
Cheers. I was trying to purge everything back to the bottle valve without undoung a seal (working on the theory that I need to replace a seal once I've taken it off once i.e. they're one use per bottle. I'm being tight I know but the sodastream seals are expensive for what they are - no disrespect CO2ART - the kit is good)

Bg

Cheers. I was trying to purge everything back to the bottle valve without undoung a seal (working on the theory that I need to replace a seal once I've taken it off once i.e. they're one use per bottle. I'm being tight I know but the sodastream seals are expensive for what they are - no disrespect CO2ART - the kit is good)

Bg
If it makes you feel better i have been using the same co2art seal for years.... I should really change it 🤣

If it makes you feel better i have been using the same co2art seal for years.... I should really change it 🤣
Classic -ha ha ha.

Yeah - they're probably good for plenty. Luck of the draw I guess but definitely worth trying first on each new mating. One of the things I like about sodastream volumes - don't think even if the whole canister burped it's contents out slowly it would overcome me in a vented room.

The first explosive rush is the bit that's scary - 7-800 psi is not to be messed with :-/

Cheers
Bg

Yes sorry, anti clockwise (was replying by phone, possible autocorrect error).

I have the older type sodastream adaptor that doesn't have a shut off valve, so there's always a brief moment of 'whoosh' when fitting or removing... (Regulator fits to adaptor first, and then the reg and adaptor go to ss bottle as a compete unit). It's only the last bit of the thread that depresses the ss valve

Yes sorry, anti clockwise (was replying by phone, possible autocorrect error).

I have the older type sodastream adaptor that doesn't have a shut off valve, so there's always a brief moment of 'whoosh' when fitting or removing... (Regulator fits to adaptor first, and then the reg and adaptor go to ss bottle as a compete unit). It's only the last bit of the thread that depresses the ss valve
Yep. I did it that way too. Twist the neck of the canister onto the adaptor & reg. Only got the 'advanced' adaptor as its a right angle join. I'm sure it'll prove to be a sticky pin on the sodastream bottle.

One good thing is I fixed a Awuario neo diffuser thst was giving off big bubbles by running a bead of superglue round where the brown sintered bit joins the acrylic. Let it fully cure for a day. Now killing two birds by testing it and the co2 rig - just microbubbles now!

Almost worth the price if a new ss seal ;)

Bg

Just to wrap this thread up for posterity. With solenoid on, bottle adaptor valve closed, bubble counter/stop valve assembly removed and all regulator valve stages open - seal was cracked and twisted SS bottle off rig. Small hiss of a couple off cc's of gas vented.

Bottle pressure gauge dropped to zero.

Picture of reset regulator and inside of adaptor with seal in situ. Worth noting is that the seal has gone opaque (think it was translucent from new).

Still not sure why there was a few cc's trapped between the adaptor and working pressure gate. Suspect slightly ropey SS valve. No big problem.

Hope this helps anyone facing same desire to deconstruct a partially used co2 rig for storage or other beginners like me without the confidence of repetition under their belts.

Thanks for all the input folks.

Cheers
Bg

Attachments

• 20210111_110547.jpg
    20210111_110547.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • 20210111_110607.jpg
    20210111_110607.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 102
Back