• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Proposed lighting in an 8ft tank.

Hmm, yeah, but not as good in terms of what? Quality of construction? Brightness? Arcadia is a long lived, reputable company as well, with plenty of representation, so I reckon that's worth something too (not that ATI are a bunch of stiffs or anything like that mind you). Unless someone has both models and can do direct objective comparisons then a lot of the analysis is speculative or second hand. Has PFK done any review on these units? I'd tend to rate their analysis as being more objective. :angelic:

Cheers,

I am not so sure about some of the PFK analysis, i did not agree with some of the ratings on the LED review in particlar regard to the Eco Lamp KR91. I thought the low score given was bizarre given the data they provided.

Most of the research that has been undertaken in regard to comparing lights seems to have been done by American hobbyists and Arcadia does not seem to be one of the leading brands over there and so does not figure in testing. I could not find a specific OT2 review on the released product, just one on speculation and one reviewing the OT2-LED. However there is one on the ATI units and a verbal comparison with OT2, the implication I got was that the ATI was better in terms of design for cooling and optimising PAR output.

My concern is there being enough light (~30-50 PAR) at the bottom across the whole area, so light spread needs to be right. I think this can be achieved by raising the unit, but ofcourse par drops off, therefore want a punchy T5 model.
A 4 tube model is only 10" wide. Not sure what angle the light spreads on thes units. Ofcourse must rememeber i can supplement with my LEDS.

That's true, I can't find any Arcadia products over here at all. In any case, while you're busy punching light to the bottom of the tank, you'd be well advised to keep you dukes up to avoid being punched in the gut by algae at the top of the tank. Like I said, I don't think there will be any difficulty getting enough light to the bottom but I would be much more concerned about getting enough CO2 down there - I guarantee you that will be a more critical issue.

Cheers,

I did notice your signiature says Miami, for some reason I thought you were from UK. Or did you emigrate? :)

Yeah co2 , well im hoping the turnover is going to be good enough, co2 comes out through submersed sprays bars on the tetra tec, may have to renew the current tubing anyway, but I suppose placing lower down the better?

I think im a bit mad, I dont see many people keeping 1000 litre plus planted tanks. I reckon its partly the wife factor lol. Having said that seen many more monster fish keepers, but their tanks are usually empty uninspiring, just big fish, not my thing, but different tastes is a good thing.

Yeah, I was in Horsham and left about a year ago, just before it got cold... :crazy: Like Morpheus I'm constantly on the move to avoid the authorities. From this hidden station I'm able to broadcast my pirate signal and hack into The Matrix. 8)

I don't you're mad (much). I just hate the thought of you spending valuable brew drinking time cleaning BBA. Most of the carpet plants will be slow to establish by default. That's just their nature and it doesn't necessarily mean that they need mega light. I'm trying to wean people off this tunnel vision approach.

Might be worth trying the dry start method, though I can't confirm if hairgrass is a good candidate for this.

I've found that long lengths of spraybar work better very near the surface than lower down. As long as you've got good flow rate you can get good movement down to the bottom. The only other option is to drill the bottom and place outlets down low hidden behind hardscape. That's a lot more complicated though.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Might be worth trying the dry start method, though I can't confirm if hairgrass is a good candidate for this.

Eleocharis parvula works really well in a propogator. It is one of the few plants I have that actually progress, rather than tread water (pun intended). HC ia another that seems to thrive for me.

Dave.

Emersed might be a possibility although im not sure how that works for all plants, and many of mine with the exception of Hair grass will be coming from my existing tank.

My current spray bars are a few inches below the surface, but the holes are angles at 45 degrees so they inject lower into the tank. I am planting the hairgrass in zambezi and over tropica substrate this time, should much better anchorage than over ADA. My fish (rainbows and denisoni barbs) have been right little b*ggers when it came to pulling up hairgrass and some other softer leave plants ,which they seem to like the taste off.

sanj said:
Oh plants would be predominantly but not exclusivley crypts and ferns. I will be dosing co2 and EI.

I'd just do all T5's and have several on separate plugs to adjust light intensity and spread.

Maybe 12-14 total bulbs 120cm 54 w each spaced evenly, about 15-20cm above the water.

Regards,
Tom barr

Back