• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Propogate Hygrophila Polysperma

idris

I bought some Hygrophila Polysperma a couple of months ago and it's gained height well.
I'd like to have more stems across a wider ares and am wondering how to propogate it.
From what I've read, it can produce root fibers part way along the stem, but mine hasn't. IIRC some stem plants can just be cut and have the lower section burried in the substrate, but as the plants I bought had roots and I still strugled to stop them floating, I'm not convinced that's the best way forward.
Any suggestions?

The easiest method is going to be topping them and then planting the tops. Don't be afraid to bury them deep in the substrate.

Cant you just push them deeper? Because that is the right way to propagate stems. Remove top and replant, you can leave the old stem and it will sprout new tops that you can remove again once tall enough, I'd remove the old stem then as that will be ugly by then in most cases :)

That's what I thought ... but even in about 3" of Adakama, and with some light root balls, several plants made a break for freedom over the first few weeks.

@Wolf6 We live in enlightened times, so I try not to judge plants on an scale aesthetic. Every plant has it's value in an equitable aquarium, and I support all plants and their contirbution to the wider ecosystem. #beautyisonlyspecularsurfacedeep ;)

That's what I thought ... but even in about 3" of Adakama, and with some light root balls, several plants made a break for freedom
Try putting them in at an angle, rather than straight down, you might also find once they get established they'll send out horizontal shoots that creep along the ground sending numerous stems upwards.

Last edited:
If you can, leave the lower leaves of the cut stem and that can help anchor the plant when you stuff it into the substrate. This is one of my staple plants and it is a very aggressive grower. I have a huge bush of it after only recieving one stem as a hitchhiker last year. I’ve never seen a plant handle trimming as well as this plant. With strong water column fertilization, the cut stem will shoot out new growth immediately and within a week you wouldn’t even notice it was cut.

It only produces aerial roots if there arent enough nutrients in the substrate and it needs to get food from the water column.
To propagate, simply take a stem cutting with at least 5 leaves on it. Remove the bottom leaves and push the cutting into the substrate.
The OLD stem can be either discarded or kept. If left in place, the old stem will generate TWO new sets of growth at the node where the cutting was taken.

I think i know what you mean actually, mr shenanigans is right, when you prep them usually you are left with just a single stem thats a bit like a skinny asparagus, it has no grip to it and likes to come up out of the substrate, if you can leave a few leaves on the part of the stem you are planting it can help with anchoring it.

Also generally the leaves and stems of polysperma are quite bouyant as it is part of their cloning growth style in the wild.
When broken, they can float for prolonged periods (up to 21 days) before sinking and rooting again.

Thanks all.
Are their any issues with leaves rotting under the substrate in you use the as anchors?
Am I right to understand that cutting one stem and replanting it, you effectively get three: the replanted stem, plus two at the cut node of the first?
So is it better to cut and replant above or below a node?

So is it better to cut and replant above or below a node?
1637359808337.png

forgive the crude drawing i'm not growing any stem plants right now, prune leaves off if you feel like it, you could leave the petioles attached and trim the main leaf off for anchorage if you are worried about rotting.
This obviously applies only to opposite leaved plants.

Last edited:
Are their any issues with leaves rotting under the substrate in you use the as anchors?
Am I right to understand that cutting one stem and replanting it, you effectively get three: the replanted stem, plus two at the cut node of the first?
No the few leaves that get trapped under the substrate won’t be an issue. Yes and no to getting two new stems from the node, sometime you might only get one. Regardless, if your goal is to fill out an area then cutting and topping will meet that goal. If you want it to remain the same, cut the plant at the desired height you want, remove the bottom, and replant the top. As prolific as this plant can be, you eventually need to rip it up and replant with fresh tops. Good strong lighting will give it a nice pink on the top leaves too.

Back