• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Propagating Stems

BanditCoaxx

Seedling
Anybody else get a great deal of pleasure from cutting and replanting stem plants? Just bushing out an area with stems I find is very therapeutic. Just wc'd and trimmed the stems in my daughters tank, her one seems to get a big neglected so the stems were high. Think one of the stems is hornwort, grows hella quick, and there's two other types in there, can't for the life of me remember their names though. Also she has a sword in their growing like mad and two/three leaves are growing up above the water line, is this alright or will those leaves eventually die off?

ben.

I’m about to give this a go, assume just as simple as it sounds? Just cut half way and replant?

I’m about to give this a go, assume just as simple as it sounds? Just cut half way and replant?
I cut mine just above the lowest leaf node so that they bush out low down, then strip the lowest pair of leaves off the"top" bit that I cut off and replant it.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

I cut this one (hornwort) where the red lines are and replant but I don't think it overly matters, it grows like wildfire and have been planting the excess in my daughters tank, I've got another stem in there that produces runners but I also cut that wherever and I still get the same results
b282a654e47f78b8dba944aeec5f17dd.jpg

ben.

Hi all,

That is it, you need a /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cutting-stem-plants.25530/#post-264393']node in each cutting[/URL]">. That is where the new leaves and shoots grow from.

I'm not sure that one is Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum), it looks more like /tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Limnophilasessiliflora(047)/4472']Limnophila sessiflora[/URL]">?[/I]

cheers Darrel
Yep you're probably right, I got one of those plant identifier things as couldn't remember the names, and it said possibly hornwort so went with that as it looked similar

ben.

Back