• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Project I - 3 Gallon Nano Tank - Low Tech

I bought this 3 Gallon Marineland tank complete with internal filter. I swapped the filter set up out for a bigger sponge, fluval biomedia and tucked in filter floss between the other filter media and the pump. I added a heater that I have to monitor because it’s preset. I unplug it if the water gets to 78F to try to keep it 74-75.

The tank was not intended to house my Betta until I realized he needed to go some where when I finally took the plunge and rescaled his tank(Project II). His tank is a 1.5weeks into its new cycle and I am using Seachem stability, excel, flourish advance and prime(in my water changes) to hopefully speed things up so he can move back in.

My 3Gallon tank is about 6weeks old now. I still to 50 percent. I noticed some green dust like algae on the hardscape and glass. It all looks to have started in one corner. I tested the water for ammonia and I believe it’s ok (approx 0.3).
I did a 60 percent water change tonight, cleaned the glass and rocks. The wood has a little which I tried my best to write off. I pulled out the pump and cleaned it, washed the biomedia in the water I removed and then the sponge. Replaced the filter floss and syphoned as much as I could out of the back compartment.
You don’t really see the algae in any pics, but I was wondering if there is anything else I should be doing??? I run an air stone intermittently every morning for a few hours too as it was recommended to me in another pose because I was getting biofilm on the surface or my water.

39F48187-C710-476E-9208-05AFC0DEFD37.jpeg

Update,
I ended up tearing down my first scape because I had so many leftovers s from my Project Ii that I turned it in to a holding tank.... then I decided all those random plants were going into terrariums because I wanted to try out a leaf-litter tank.

so I ripped out the false back to give myself more room and purchased a little (looks huge on the nano tank lmao) water fall filter. I prepped my wood by boiling it and soaking it... and now I’m just waiting for the plants and rock to arrive.
Any recommendations to control the decomposition of the leaf littler? I don’t want a full black water tank... looking to do a bit more of a hybrid. The plants will be a selection of Anubis’s, Bucephalandra and Crypts... I did get some spicy moss, but not sure it will make its way into this tank.

Attachments

• 1FD6D65C-4927-4921-A965-2D6EA7BB1CE6.jpeg
    1FD6D65C-4927-4921-A965-2D6EA7BB1CE6.jpeg
    745 KB · Views: 218
  • 4104133E-90B5-4450-B407-31E521B50ABB.jpeg
    4104133E-90B5-4450-B407-31E521B50ABB.jpeg
    722.1 KB · Views: 226
I don’t want a full black water tank...
Beech and oak leaves dont stain the water nearly as much as say, catappa leaves etc. I have both the former and have barely noticed a tinge to the water despite slacking on waterchanges. Pleasantly surprised to say the least, as I too like the litter but prefer fairly untinted water. If youre extra sneaky you could get small leaves off young trees, those will help keep the scale of the tank down ;)

Well here are the results after 4hours on a tiny tank lol! I used one giant leave to hide the unsightly filter... I have some moss, but I’m gonna sleep on it and tinker with the details more tomorrow once it clears up a bit and I can examin the results a little better...
I’m happy with it.... I think.... lol.... playing around with the tint in the water... we will see if it stays??? 😏
6AC0B0D1-91E2-4986-90D0-5315CA13D8C8.jpeg

Attachments

• F10859A9-58B1-46B9-B139-924F42901ADE.jpeg
    F10859A9-58B1-46B9-B139-924F42901ADE.jpeg
    633.8 KB · Views: 182
Well here are the results after 4hours on a tiny tank lol! I used one giant leave to hide the unsightly filter... I have some moss, but I’m gonna sleep on it and tinker with the details more tomorrow once it clears up a bit and I can examin the results a little better...
I’m happy with it.... I think.... lol.... playing around with the tint in the water... we will see if it stays??? 😏
View attachment 167090
Beech and oak leaves dont stain the water nearly as much as say, catappa leaves etc. I have both the former and have barely noticed a tinge to the water despite slacking on waterchanges. Pleasantly surprised to say the least, as I too like the litter but prefer fairly untinted water. If youre extra sneaky you could get small leaves off young trees, those will help keep the scale of the tank down ;)
Okay so of course I couldn’t help tinkering a bit more , moving plants around taking out some of the tannins, and I did go on a walk and collect some little leaves which I boiled up and added! Great suggestion 👍🏻

now I have to take the dogs for a walk before they think I have completely abandoned them lol.
D6BB48E4-FEAF-4991-A6A3-1F3F9BBDDE66.jpeg

UPDATE: it’s been 11 days since I set this tank up! I used filter biomedia from the previous set up and water from my other thank to get it started. I added Seachem Matrix as a base to the area where I have ADA soil to minimize an excess of soil. I tested the water for ammonia a few days ago and there is zero, so I feel confident to add some fish. Tomorrow I have 6 Kubotai Rasboras aka Neon Greens! I’m super stoked!
D63546E8-ED72-4571-B47B-33D46381A64D.jpeg

WARNING: graffic content for fish lovers...

😭😭 Well... it appears my new little friends did not survive their Journey 😢😢 my 6 Rasboras were all DOA... I’ve contacted the place from where I purchased them within 30min of their arrival and am now waiting to hear back...

I hope this is not a bad omen for my tank. Any hobby superstitions

17A87ED0-907E-4F60-B46F-217F23015E0A.jpeg

I spoke with the store, and they are confident that these fish are hardy enough to make the journey and wonder if something happened with the heat pack. So they are going to send more next week. If they don’t arrive alive, I will try to get them sourced locally. I am happy that they responded fast and are willing to make good on their DOA policy. Stay tuned for next weeks update on the 3G Rasbora Saga ... 😏

Back