• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PROJECT : Congo planted tank

zanguli-ya-zamba

Seedling
Hi guys,
I am living for holidays in one month for 23 days, so I will put down one of my tank.
So I have been thinking last night about what would be the next scape, I couldn't sleep because of that :) . Until I found an idea ! I am living in Congo with an incredible biotope, I have already found different plants here that are not known, and that I have already grow in my tank.
So why not do a tank with only congolese plants !!
I think it would be very interesting for me to do that and for ukaps members to discover new species an help me with the best advices for my project.
Maybe some of you have seen my first journal Forest of "Congo" or the thread African Rivers, in these thread I have shown different plants I had find here.

So here is what I will do when I come back in august :
- I will go to Zongo falls to pick 5 different species of plants, Anubias, bolbitis, a nice very small stem plant, an other that "looks like" Blyxa but with hard leaves and some mosses. Maybe I can also find woods and rocks there.
- I will go to Nsele river to take a nice long plant like Eleocharis but with longer and bigger leaves, in this river there is also a long stem plant that I have already grown in my tank, but I have not seen it for a year now so hope I will find it !
- After I will go in different river to find new species.

My only problem will be the tank, my tank is 120x40x50 cm and I hate this dimension,, and also the cabinet is not any more in good shape. Light is a 4x54 w, and I don't need a strong light like that. Now I am running 2X54 w and it is very sufficient !! I I wanted to have a smaller tank also like a 90X45X45 cm would be nice.
So I have two options :
- I build my own tank, cabinet and order a lighting system.
- I buy a nice NA 90X45X45 + a 2x36 w NA light and i build my cabinet. I have already written to our sponsor for that tank but they have never answer me :(.

So what do you think about that project ? Should I do it or am I loosing my time and should continue with all the plants I have here in my pond for stock ? I have so many species that I can do what ever I want.

Well it would be nice to have some feed back about this project !
thanks for reading and for your time

Regards

Zanguli

Sounds like a brilliant project. I'm a big fan of collecting your own hardscape materials, if I was still living in the tropics I'd definitely be looking at doing something similar to you. Can you collect your own livestock as well?
Hi,
yes I can collect my live stock, what ever lives in congo river I can have it lol. Maybe i will put some Jae barb or butterfly barb or a group of Phenacogrammus interruptus, I don't know yet. I am sure that when that day will come I will have a lot of ukaps members that will advice me.

cheers and thanks for your interest

Hi Zanguli,

Your project sounds great! Will be absolutely amazing for you to be able to show off pictures taken of where you collect your plants/ fish alongside the pics of what they look like in your tank. I will be following your thread with great interest and look forward to it. I am planning to order some Jae barbs for my Cameroon tank. I see that Ruinemans, one of the big suppliers to shops over here, has them in stock so hopefully I can get my LFS to order some. Good luck!

Regards,

Andre

Back