• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Project 130L

Matt Havens

Hi all! So the time has finally come and I am having to move my 130L Aquaone curved corner Tank, bad phone picture will follow.
95c8c261ceeb8cbc25a937ea8306e964.jpg

So as I am having to move this tank to the other side of the room I thought I should rescape it as it gets neglected in its current state.

I just could not do it without at least documenting it on here and also to get feedback on the plan as a lot of it will be new to me. I guess it is more a question of 'how would you do it?'

The plan is:(please comment as you see fit)

I will be starting this friday night and only have the weekend to complete it. I can do some prep work during the week. I'm looking for a fairly low tech setup.

# Use a large 50L container as storage for the fish. Use a small spare internal filter with some filter media from the internal filter, syphoned tank water and of course the heater. (Should i start to cycle the filter now?)

# Empty the water, plants, wood and substrate and then move empty tank to new location.

# Use a base of either Westlands aquatic soil or John Innes no3 and cap it with some sand or gravel, maybe even the JBL Monado which is in there at the moment.

# Plants I have growing emersed are.

Lobelia cardinalis mini
Ludwigia sp. Mini super red
Hygrophila araguaia
Pogostemon stellatus
Didiplis diandra
Plagiomnium cf. Affine
2 X Wabi Kusa balls 'may use'
37236f98f5363a5d29643e58d34c05d7.jpg

Stuarogyne repens
Alternanthera reneikii
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Some moss not sure of the type
And some off cuts from another tank.
05b02499512efedc70329b6750dc89da.jpg

# And now I am a little stuck what to do. Should I keep the filter media from the back alive somehow and use this as a way to introduce the fish back a little quicker or as I am adding the soil element to the tank is this not possible?

So many questions yet but I will leave it there for now and look forward to any suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi Matt, how's this going?
Hi Manisha and thanks for the replies, the project has been held off due to funds and quite honestly experience as I learn from my 60L. Mistakes have been made with the 60L and I am not comfortable throwing money and effort at something I am not confident will work.

The 60L has been almost an experiment in preperation for 'the big one' and I am not getting the results I wanted, mainly due to funds and also in-experience. I am convinced I cannot get the results I need without a pressurised CO2 system and it has just not been possible. I am fairly sure that what I am doing is right apart from the lack of pressurised CO2 so until I can afford to do this I have decided I will not takee the risk aand be patient,(the key to good aquascaping) i'm sure.

I just dont want to rush into this and with only UKAPS as my guide and no friends in the hobby to advise I would rather wait. On that note if anyone is near the Leicester area and fancies a visit I would be so grateful of any input. As I said I only have this fantastic forum to support me and my confidence is not great so to have somebody come and view my tanks and have any input would be amazing.

Thanks again,

Matt

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear this hasn't progressed for you as planned :( All you plants grown emmersed look really promising although I'm sure the transition to growing as submerged plants has its ups and downs. Your just right to wait if you'd rather progress with pressurised co2 & I found with a big tank all the cost, substrate, hardscape, plants all add up to far more than a smaller one (and usually more than you plan anyway...)

Ukaps is a great aid but your right would be nice to have a lfs with actual planted tank knowledge locally on hand - There's a new topic on here 'clubs and societies' You might get a more specific response if you opened a thread there arranging a meet in your area?

I'm a bit intimidated by the cost involved & margin of error with pressurised co2 so I am really trying to make low tech work - there are some great tanks by some of the ukaps staff, Tim & Tim Harrison - also Darrell (Dw1305) a ukaps expert runs healthy tanks among others so it can be done! I don't think I can reach their level but they prove it is not impossible...

Hi Matt, I have found this a cheap and very good way of trying pressurised. Co2 http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cheap-pressurised-co2-system-diy-guide.7696/ I used this system for a year or two on smaller tanks and the only downside was having to turn it off, in the end I ran the co2 24/7 at a lower rate and added an air stone to gas off the co2 at night, I still have the regulator somewhere, if I can find it I can post it to you for you to give it a try if you'd like.

Hi Matt, I have found this a cheap and very good way of trying pressurised. Co2 http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cheap-pressurised-co2-system-diy-guide.7696/ I used this system for a year or two on smaller tanks and the only downside was having to turn it off, in the end I ran the co2 24/7 at a lower rate and added an air stone to gas off the co2 at night, I still have the regulator somewhere, if I can find it I can post it to you for you to give it a try if you'd like.

That would be fantastic. I had read this before and forgot about it. If you were happy with the results then I'm sure I will be. I would be very grateful if you could. Want any of my emersed cuttings? I will PM you this evening after work.

great link Tim, i sold my co2 art set a few months back to cover some holiday costs; only now looking into co2 again, this could be a really worthwhile option :D :thumbup:

Back