• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Stunning wood ;) (as always)
(did you order a box of manzanita from TB?)

I missed the beginning of this scape but this version received my instant vote
(though think that moss needs to be trimmed tighter to the wood (re Amano style))

How many pots of hair grass did you plant out from PAH?
(seems more than 4, or your pots were much fuller than mine :lol: )

6 x Eleocharis Acicularis Mini
2 x Staurogyne Repens
1 x Hygrophila Araguaia
2 x Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis
3 x Rotala h'ra
1 x hygrophila pinnatafida
Why not try the Lilaeopsis novae-zealandiae (FAAO says it’s his favourite variant ... naturally it’s not available locally hence my need to experience this afar - I’m curious how it’s growth differs from L brasiliensis)

I’m pretty sure Juncus repens is missing from your plant list ;)
(Stem and grassy!)

Did you add those melted Buce rhizomes anyway?

Sorry for all the questions!

Why thank you @alto :p and I did indeed, all the manzanita I have is from the main man TB himself, still have a box worth in the garage and was been speaking to him about getting another but covid hit and priorities changed

I used novae-zealandiae in my very first tank and I loved it, I've never had Brasiliensis so wanted to try that out, but I should have probably went for one of each to compare and contrast as they look quite similar going by the tropica info

Plan will be to try and keep the moss fairly tight to the wood but let it grow out a bit more on the left stone behind the wood, only just attached so will be left to grow out for a couple of weeks to settle and will wait for good signs of growth before I touch it again

Just 3 tropica pots painstakingly split into small portions o_O

Juncus repens was on my mind as it looks great but wanted to keep this low maintenance and only want to be trimming the rotala often, plus I wanted a bit more of a 'tighter' look and JC can get a bit unruly if not kept on check

Only a small amount that hadn't turned to mush, any rhizomes that were still in a fair state I have planted and trimmed all melt from and hope to try and recover them, all of my anubias has melted which is a massive surprise as they have been bullet prrof so they have been trimmed back to the rhizomes as well and planted

Never apologise mate always happy to chat :thumbup:

all of my anubias has melted which is a massive surprise as they have been bullet prrof so they have been trimmed back to the rhizomes as well and planted

Any details on exactly how this played out?
I’ve seen this as well, Anubias that tolerated all sorts of poor (aquarium) management, only to suddenly melt - sometimes when I’d transferred them to “better” conditions, other times just “in place”
(hah sounds like I’ve melted a lot of Anubias when actually I rarely keep it)

(though I’ve also observed significant numbers of Anubias shipments that would begin their melt within 1-2 days or 1-2 weeks of being placed in the display tank - with soft rhizome seeming to be the start of the process - so I think this is a different problem)

( my IOS hates this latest version of ukaps :banghead: - in part why I’ve been so absent - manipulation within the post box is a frustrating random process)

Re Juncus repens, yes FAAO always mentions it being there to add texture and some “wildness” to the scape

Reading this article makes me want to go back out and pick up some L brasiliensis ... though I’ve been saying that I only want to revisit L brasiliensis when I can also source L mauritiana (it’s sometimes available though I’ve not seen it in ages)

(my first visit to this site triggered by the L n-v vs L b phrase :lol:)

There has been much confusion and mis-labelling of L n-v and L b in the trade over the last 20years (at the aquatic nursery level)

The anubias was bombproof in the previous tanks which as mention and describe this situation perfectly, were also neglected towards the end (tds of around 400 where i usually keep mine around 120 after water change rising to 160 before the next WC). I transferred them to a holding tank with a low level light but no filter or heater for approx 1 week between stripping the old tank and replanting. When removing them from the tub to be planted all anubias were in perfect condition including rhizome and roots (but this is where some of the buce had suffered bad melt but that is more understandable as we know buce hates any change of environment). Planted the anubias and within a day most leaves had melted. There are many variables but who knows which one triggers it

haha yeh the LNV vs LB search was one i've done recently when trying to decide! the only difference i can find is leaf shape, with LB being more grass like and LNV almost like a mini crypt with a slight teardrop shape to it

Day 13 - What else is there to do on a friday night these days other than plant some buce...

Should have used something for size comparison but the largest one of these is smaller than a 1p coin
DSC00729-2.jpg
DSC00730-2.jpg

I transferred them to a holding tank with a low level light but no filter or heater for approx 1 week between stripping the old tank and replanting
This was much as I’d done too - too convenient to resist ... and of course it was only going to be for The Day :oops:

In a previous scape I had some Lb in a relatively shaded area (2 x Kessil A160 over a 90cm tank, and Lb was on one side and close to rocks) and it was a dense mat of twisting rhizomes/leafs that I found impossible to thin out - I just ripped the lot out - I’d expected taller grass-like growth, especially as the light was lower but this stubbornly remained only 2-3 cm tall
I wanted the sort of Lilaeopsis growth in Mark Evans’ journals!

Re new Buce - did you glue?
I was listening to an aquascaping video (while planting hair grass bits) and the person mentioned wrapping soft cotton (some ADA Dooa product maybe) around delicate stems etc then carefully applying the glue only to the cotton (which should disintegrate, and by then plant is held by roots)

Could have let us see them.planted you tease
Sorry mate not intentional.... got sidetracked when a pizza got delivered just after I finished and lights were ramping down by the time I came to after my food coma

@alto you're going to make me fall out with the guys at AG because I'm going to end up pestering them to change one of the pots of LB to LNZ as I really want to compare the 2 lilaeopsis varieties now (@Siege cover your ears)

No glue used just stuffed in cracks ;) i only use glue for hardscape and to glue thread to the wood when I wrap moss, refuse to use it for anything else these days and find it works a lot better this way

Glad to see you back mate, just for your information, lilaeopsis Brasiliensis is smaller and leaves are flatter that L.Novae-zelandiae.

loving all the buce, can’t wait to see it grow. :)

Glad to see you back mate, just for your information, lilaeopsis Brasiliensis is smaller and leaves are flatter that L.Novae-zelandiae.

loving all the buce, can’t wait to see it grow. :)
thanks buddy it's good to be back on :thumbup: brilliant that helps a lot with planning on where to plant when things arrive, you and me both, i've had mini needle leaf before and it's probaby my favourite along with mini cherry and mini coin (trend forming with the mini varieties here...)

on a related note i have indeed pestered Dave @ AG again and slightly amended my order, full plant list now sits at:

• 3 x Rotala h'ra (1-2 grow)
  • 1 x Rotala Green (1-2 grow)
  • 2 x Eleocharis Acicularis Mini (1-2 grow)
  • 2 x Staurogyne Repens (1-2 grow)
  • 1 x Hygrophila Araguaia (1-2 grow)
  • 1 x Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis (1-2 grow)
  • 1 x Lilaeopsis Novae-Zealandiae (pot)
  • 1 x Hygrophila Pinnatafida (1-2 grow)
  • 2 x Bucephalandra Mini Needle Leaf (dennerle in-vitro)
  • Bucephalandra Braun Rot (from previous scape)
  • Bucephalandra Lamandau Red (from previous scape)
  • Bucephalandra Theia (from previous scape)
  • Bucephalandra Biblis (from previous scape)
  • Microsorum Trident (from previous scape)
  • Mini Christmas Moss (from previous scape)
and there's some random other small bits of buce and anubias in there as well

Evening @Kalum, Just read through this. The scape is great, Loving the mini buce in the rocks. How's it going now? Any progress shots?
The previous scape in this tank was stunning by the way, great work mate 👍

Cheers, James

Hey @EA James thanks for the kind words :thumbup:

Been taking a couple of pics as I go but you're right I'm slacking on the updates so will get one done tomorrow :lol:

Tank ran completely algae free for the first 4 weeks with not even diatoms in sight, lights have been at 30% but since scaling back to weekly water changes the first signs of diatoms and GDA arrived, partly I'm quite glad as it's giving my ottos and shrimp something to graze on since there's such low plant mass so I'm actually just embracing it, upping the water changes to twice weekly again but rocks won't be cleaned until I have a much higher plant mass and everything stabilises

This scape looks great @Kalum, and I think that it conforms more to the golden ratio than you think... Having done it freestyle, I think says a lot about your natural/artistic eye for what looks good

Last edited:
@Kalum ok cool, I'll be keeping an eye out for them!
And you're right, You might as well keep things ticking over until the rest of the plants are in then go full steam ahead

Great work so far though matey :)

Back