• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pro Shrimp

The only thing I haven’t liked about them is the amount of packaging they use, especially plastic. I bought a filter which is already packaged pretty well in the manufactures box and it came wrapped in meters of bubble wrap inside another box. A second order was also over-wrapped in plastic. I won’t be ordering from them again until they switch to something a bit more environmentally friendly.

To be honest Alan. I've had smashed external filters, lighting units, and glassware due to inadequate packaging. I was taking to one supplier planning to switch to cardboard, and it seemed far worse. It was getting so bad this year that I would say up to 50% of my orders were damaged due to poor packaging. I can understand why people don't like certain plastics, but bubble wrap can be reused, and will usually degrade fairly completely in landfill. One study showed that after 4 weeks between 10 and 12% of LDPE was lost from incubated landfill soil. Here it is: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1755-1315/126/1/012144. That would mean that any landfill bubble wrap should disappear within a year. Obviously, there are environmental footprints to consider, but my opinion has always supported the use of these plastics because for the lack of a bit of bubble wrap, an entire product could end up thrown away!

I've the opposite experience, my one criticism of them would be the lack of care packing. The prices are good, the support is quick and helpful, the delivery speed is brilliant. But every order has had something damaged, not completely just enough to be annoying. I don't think I've had any excessive/additional packing for mine - just lose in a cardboard box.

I’ve always had good experiences with them. I order shrimp, plants and other supplies regularly, they deliver fast and are packaged well.

I've ordered from pro shrimp a few times with no issues and a great deal of care taken in there packages

To be honest Alan. I've had smashed external filters, lighting units, and glassware due to inadequate packaging.

Hi Simon, thanks for the response. The article was an interesting read but gives no indication of what is actually going on in landfill sites. I guess we‘ll have to agree to disagree. I think there’s far more environmentally friendly packaging options and will continue to prefer suppliers that use them.

Cheers

Alan

The delivery was fast and the shopping experience positive, however, my experience of their aftersales support was very negative. So ok if things go well but awful if you need customer support.

Visited them a month or so back. It's not really a high street type customer facing business, more like a small warehouse geared toward online business.
I think I got there around mid morning and it seemed to be all hands to the pump packing orders for delivery to online buyers.
However, at least one staff member found time to help me out and I left there fairly happy with some well chosen shrimp.

Regarding the packaging issue. I don't really think it's fair to complain too loudly about how much packaging is used by online businesses. Their priority is to get your order out to you undamaged, it'd be commercial suicide to do anything else. Unfortunately, given the carelessness of our postal service and couriers, they have little choice but to over package items, especially livestock. So they're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. Plus, there is also the environmental impact of throwing away damaged goods to be considered, so that probably goes some way to offset the amount of packaging used.

The Pro Shrimp range of product and service as never let me down, unlike some on line retailers. It would perhaps be better for I dunno the Post Office to come up ith a alternative packaging to bubble wrap and I would have thought Pro Shrimp would be one of the first to use it. The opportunity for someone somewhere to become a eco friendly millionaire is there with eco friendly products the future

i order some plants, forgot it was easter weekend (work in retail so b/h are just shorter days).

they changed the delivery to saturday rather than next day

will deffo use again

I placed another order on Sunday evening and it arrived this morning so it wasn’t a one off.

I've placed an order on a weekday afternoon and had it the next morning - they are very fast at getting it in the post!

Top marks from me aswell, from both there ebay and web based store, Fast delivery and good prices.

I bought some stuff from them a couple of months ago and like their quick delivery :) handy to know if you're desperate for something asap!

I've used them a few times in the past and always had 100% great service :)

They’ve had another couple of orders from me. They have a really good range of products for sale.

Back