• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Prepare tank for holidays

zanguli-ya-zamba

Seedling
Hi every one,

hope you had a good week end guys ?
So in 10 days I am living the country for 24 days, and I wanted to know how to prepare my tank for these long holidays ??
I have someone who will come every days to feed the cats, but this person won't be able to do water change, and to put ferts. but I can prepare small packs with the dose of ferts she can puts in the tank.

My plan is like this:
hang the light at 45 cm from the water with only one bulb of 36 w for 20 G of water, and light on for 5 hours. what do you think about that ?
For CO2 I will connect a new 4 KG bottle the day before I leave and in case there is a problem I will leave an other 4 KG spare bottle.

But regarding ferts and water changes what should I do I am a bit lost??
I have a friend that can come once or twice a week and he do aquascaping also so he knows WC and EI method.

Your advices are welcome guys like that when I will comeback I can find an almost nice looking tank.
I know that every time I leave for holidays I comeback and the tank is a mess and plants not healthy. Now I am looking a way for the tank to have a good time when I am not here.

How do you guys prepare your tank for holidays ??

thanks very much for your time and your helps members very appreciate

Cheers
Zanguli

When I went away last summer for 22days I
- Turned light & CO2 down to 3-4 hours a day (I think).
- Used peristaltic dosing for Macro and Micro. Reduced the dosage by 1/2 as well.
- Used a fish feeder.
- Cleaned all filters & changed water before going.

Was about 28days before I got round to water change (jet lag/work etc). Plants were not as green as I would have liked when I got back, but all recovered in a week or two with lights & CO2 turned back to 8 hours.

Was going to get neighbour dose, but they were "were scared" of ruining the tank, so peristaltic pump dosing system was built.
DIY dual peristaltic dosing pump with alternate switching. | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Before this I bought loads of 30ml plastic bottles from 30ml natural round bottle with white flip top cap which I was going to prefill & label with daily doses of macro and micro so neighbour could just come in, empty required bottle, no thinking, measuring required.

Hi Ian,
thanks for the imput !
your periplastic pump is very impressive mate !!!! But unfortunately I don't have the skills and the time to build that lol.
I just had a call from my friend and he decided this morning to go in holidays at the same time so no one can make WC.
I will prepare small bags with one dose of macro and an other bag with micro. And I will ask the lady who comes to feed the cat to put 2 x week macro and 1 x week micro. Doses will 3/4 EI dosing.
Do you think it's a good idea ? I will also ask her to top up water every 4 days.

lights on for 4 hours CO2 turn on 1,5 hours before lights on and off 1h before lights off.
I only have crypt and staurogyne in that tank.

If any one else had already done something special when they go in holidays I would be very happy to have your input.
thanks

If you reduce light and reduce fert doses then weekly water changes won't be necessary, just leave as is and sort when you get back.

Topping up the tank is a good idea, just prep some de-chlorinated water in a suitable bottles ready to empty into tank before you go. I didn't do this as my Juwel tank is covered, and whilst it does lose water it was not a problem for the 3-4 weeks left alone. However someone on this forum had an open top tank and whilst away water lowered sufficiently for the slightly upward facing spray bar to empty the tank on floor !!
Holiday disaster. | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Back