• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Prep for missed water change

TrevC

Hi
I dose my 200l tank manually (Apt-e) and will be on vacation for two weeks in a month. Fortunately my house sitter will continue the dosing but I can’t ask them to do a 50% water change! I have inline CO2. Is there any sensible precaution I should take (eg light/ CO2 period) whilst I am away? Most of the “holiday” posts I’ve found here relate to those who cannot dose during holiday. Any advice? My default setting currently is just to not worry and pick up on the WC when I get back!

It will be fine without the waterchange, just do it when you get back. If you’re CO2 runs fine on a daily basis week in week out and you’re not having to adjust it then I would leave everything as is, just make sure there’s enough gas in the bottle to last the two weeks you’re away. Two things that can make life easier is an auto doser for the ferts to ensure no mistakes and an auto-top-off unit with RO water to replace any evaporation (if there’s two weeks evaporation the surface flow may change enough that it may have consequences to how much CO2 stays in the tank), without these you’re reliant on your helper to complete these tasks until you get back.

:)

Thanks for your prompt response and some helpful suggestions. CO2 cylinder was recently changed. Tank surface is covered with glass to limit evaporation so looks like things are in good shape.
Trevor

ai0q0027-24-dec-proc-web-jpg.jpg

This is the result of going on holiday for 2 weeks.... just be prepared for major maintenance if you have stem plants .

Actually this experience was one factow which made me switch to less frequent water changes.... the tank didn't crash when I didn't do a weekly change, so why not change once every 2 weeks? :p

Back