• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pregnant Cherry Shrimp Death

Its strange that its only females carrying eggs. Thinking about this, is it possible the deaths are due to some sort of vitamin/mineral deficiency due to making eggs/carrying developing young? For example, Dincho mentioned calcium deficiency as a possible cause but it got ruled out because of the high KH. In humans though calcium can't be absorbed properly without Vitamin D. I don't know if its the same for shrimp. But obviously the demands of producing eggs and supplying developing young are high so if this, or another equally important vitamin/mineral was in short supply, this would affect these females more.

Does any of that make sense?

Viv

Just found a juvenile dead upside down as the others - so I'm guessing this possibly an infection as mentioned. Any tips on identifying the problem/treating it? I cannot see any signs of fungal infection on them, co2 is stable using a dropchecker. Not too sure!

Almond leaves are good for prevention but if you got an infection that's leading to losses I wouldn't mess about. I'd go in heavy with a week's course of full dose paraguard. Spank the bacterial infection hard. If you mess about with half doses etc you'll just end up with resistant bacteria. Here's some info:

http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php/134-Shrimp-Diseases-Bacterial-Infection

http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php/277-shrimp-bacterial-infection-paraguard

http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/sho...achem-Paraguard-treatment?highlight=paraguard

BTW what's the population size and the tank size?

Thanks for the help, I will take a look.

23L tank, population is about 50, but 80% of these are very young, I have only maybe 6 or so full size adults left.

Out of interest where do people buy their almond/catappa leaves?

Themuleous said:
You can download the water report for your area from your water company, they have to provide it by law.

Sam

Thats excellent ive just found mine out its ment to be out the tap @ 27mg/l CaCO3. acording to southeastwater

Thanks Themuleous :thumbup:

Lemsip said:
Thanks for the help, I will take a look.

23L tank, population is about 50, but 80% of these are very young, I have only maybe 6 or so full size adults left.

Out of interest where do people buy their almond/catappa leaves?

Plenty on ebay Lemsip, or I can send you some to try out?

Its a HOB Aquaclear - I don't think so, I've done water checks after every death and they are OK.

I think it may be a molting problem as mentioned since I see a lot less sheddings than when I first got the shrimp (although this may just be they eat them quicker since there are more). Or possibly the PH swing from co2 as I don't have a solenoid, so I've turned it down. But then again I've found them during at different times during the day. :bored:

Mine is 300mg/l. I have reduced my co2 slightly and I'm noticing less deaths, not sure if this is coincidence though (could be dying in hidden areas). The co2 was around 30ppm so didn't think this was too high?

Back