• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Prefilter sponges clogging too soon.

Sarpijk

Hi all, Happy new year to everyone! For the last few months I have to squeeze the two prefilter sponges I use in my 100 litre tank.

At first I had a terrible case of surface film. The prefilters would clog and the filter could not work properly, no water movement. Upon inspection there seemed to be a kind of slime clogging the sponges.

The surface film is now gone but I still have to clean the sponges every 4-5 days or else there is no circulation in the tank.

I have always used prefilters and this is the first time I have to clean them so often.

The tank has had its ups and downs since July with a two day power cut while I was on vacation and some extremely high temps but it has started doing well the plants all look perfect and the shrimp are berried.

What could be causing the slime? I now the answer could just be " organics" but stay on top of water changes and I feel this could be a type of algae maybe cyanobacteria? Some green tufts if algae seem to have multiplied. If I am not mistaken some member had pointed out that it could be cyano.

IMG_20220106_214528.jpg

Hi
it may be the case that the prefilter sponges are too fine.I like to use a relatively coarse one 20 - 30ppi as if go finer they block very fast and restrict the flow.
Regards Konstantin

Back