• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Praziquintrel

Yes, it could. TDS is total dissolved solids, so it includes hardness and carbonate/bicarbonate, but also everything else, organic waste from fish and plants, decomposing uneaten food, fertiliser meds, and anything else in there. If it's increasing more than you expect from what you're adding it's probably due to waste build-up and suggests you need more or bigger water changes.
Thanks for this sparkweasel now i understand why my reading was high.All i have to do now is explain why my kh read is none existent.

Hi there,

Can you also test for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate
Hi Melll herewith the readings for ammonia Wich is glad to say zero.

The nitrite is very small i will let you judge as a find these kind of kits very hard.

And the nitrate is considerably higher as i have been feeding with ei nutes hoping this helps regards Martin

Attachments

• IMG_20200716_112940.jpg
    IMG_20200716_112940.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20200716_112938.jpg
    IMG_20200716_112938.jpg
    658.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20200716_111853.jpg
    IMG_20200716_111853.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20200716_111843.jpg
    IMG_20200716_111843.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 100
Good afternoon Martin :)

It looks to me as though you do have Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates showing. Time to roll those sleeves up and start the partial water changes.

Can I ask why you leave your tap water out for a couple of days to stand before use? Do you use a de-chlorinator?

Full details of your tank and inhabitants would be useful.
It sounds as if you have three different health problems with your various fish species; that suggests a problem with the tank overall, leaving the fish susceptible to various diseases. Hence @Melll asking about maintenance, and @REDSTEVEO suggesting a medication for various unidentified diseases.
In your situation, I would order the meds immediately, then do a large water change.
Then post some more information here, with pics if possible.
Repeat the water change daily until the meds arrive, and check for responses to your extra details here.
Hi sparkweasel,

I have 7 zebra danios,7or 8 baby guppies 7 neon tetras currently in the hospital tank. One male guppy sex pest i am wondering if he was responsible for his lovers death. And up to this week about 350 ramshorn snail's Wich breed like crazy.And have been moved out to the goldfish tank.

Filtration is with a sun sun power filter Wich had been retrofitted with a booster pump to aid overall performance.And at the opposite end of the tank is a small internal filter Wich aids circulation and oxygen.

I use ei nutes daily and have a co2 system at about 1 BP's. The lighting is by 2 LED lights that are quite good.

At the moment the plants look quite messy because i have had baby guppies in there so they look horrible at the moment. If you need to know anything else please let me know.

Regards Martin Steele

Oh i will post this then post you a picture.

Good afternoon Martin :)

It looks to me as though you do have Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates showing. Time to roll those sleeves up and start the partial water changes.

Can I ask why you leave your tap water out for a couple of days to stand before use? Do you use a de-chlorinator?
You Hi Melll there is no ammonia showing on the kit i used however there is a tiny
Amount of nitrite and a significant amount of nitrate.I leave my water to stand to allow the chlorene to dispell ?? Am i wrong in doing this, and yes i do have declorinator but don't use it am i wrong again.

Best regards Martin Steele

PS the nitrates are because of ei nutes.

Hi Martin,

The majority of tap water contains Chloramine which does not or takes a long time to disperse, de-chlorinator is a must, that means you can use tap water straight the way. A lot of de-chlorinators also sort out heavy metals within the water. Any amount of Nitrite or Ammonia means you need to do partial water changes as both are toxic.

What’s that?
Your pH is quite low. Any idea why that might be the case?
For some reason I think he means Kalkwasser, which is usually dropped into Marine Tanks to boost the calcium levels and keep the hardness up. Although why anybody would add Kalkwasser to a fresh water aquarium I'll never know.

Thanks for this sparkweasel now i understand why my reading was high.All i have to do now is explain why my kh read is none existent.

Personally I would not use the API test kit for measuring anything at all. The results are inconsistent to say the least. If you are adding Kalkwasser, (not Karwasser) there is no way you GH and KH could be as low as the readings are giving you.

Hi all,
TDS is total dissolved solids, so it includes hardness and carbonate/bicarbonate, but also everything else, organic waste from fish and plants, decomposing uneaten food, fertiliser meds, and anything else in there.
It does, the meter is only <"reading the ions in the water">, so it won't include all the organic waste etc.
This afternoon i used my TDS metre and got a reading of 670 ppm.
That is about 1000 microS (1 millisiemen) and that is a lot of salts.
suggests you need more or bigger water changes.
Same for me.
along with bicarb
Is it sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3)? If it is I'd swap it for potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3), sodium isn't good for planted tanks. Have a look at DIY remineralising <"James' Planted Tank">
I add a little kalkwasser to my water change
OK, that might be the cause of a lot of the conductivity rise.
Although why anybody would add Kalkwasser to a fresh water aquarium I'll never know.
All i have to do now is explain why my kh read is none existent.
Personally I would not use the API test kit for measuring anything at all. The results are inconsistent to say the least. If you are adding Kalkwasser, (not Karwasser) there is no way you GH and KH could be as low as the readings are giving you.
Yes, other than snails freshwater tank inhabitants don't deplete the calcium carbonate (CaCO3) in tank, and the amount of Ca++ and HCO3- ions that remains in solution is dependent upon the <"carbonate~ CO2 equilibrium">. If use <"elevated CO2 levels to dissolve"> aragonite etc in a calcium reactor? Then when you add it to the tank you will get precipitation of the "spare" CaCO3 and that will then buffer the water to pH 8, ~650 microS and about 17dKH.

You should have <"similar dGH/dKH values">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
The majority of tap water contains Chloramine which does not or takes a long time to disperse, de-chlorinator is a must, that means you can use tap water straight the way. A lot of de-chlorinators also sort out heavy metals within the water. Any amount of Nitrite or Ammonia means you need to do partial water changes
Hi i have checked with sww there is no chloramine in our water supply.However there is no ammonia on my test and almost insignificant nitrite.Although the nitrate is quite high.

Regards and thanks again

Martin Steele

Hi all,It does, the meter is only <"reading the ions in the water">, so it won't include all the organic waste etc. That is about 1000 microS (1 millisiemen) and that is a lot of salts.Same for me.Is it sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3)? If it is I'd swap it for potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3), sodium isn't good for planted tanks. Have a look at DIY remineralising <"James' Planted Tank">OK, that might be the cause of a lot of the conductivity rise.Yes, other than snails freshwater tank inhabitants don't deplete the calcium carbonate (CaCO3) in tank, and the amount of Ca++ and HCO3- ions that remains in solution is dependent upon the <"carbonate~ CO2 equilibrium">. If use <"elevated CO2 levels to dissolve"> aragonite etc in a calcium reactor? Then when you add it to the tank you will get precipitation of the "spare" CaCO3 and that will then buffer the water to pH 8, ~650 microS and about 17dKH.

You should have <"similar dGH/dKH values">.

cheers Darrel
Hi Darryl what does all that mean in English.

Regards Martin

Hi, what other decorations do you keep in the tank? Any sea shells?

Hi i have checked with sww there is no chloramine in our water supply.However there is no ammonia on my test and almost insignificant nitrite.Although the nitrate is quite high.

Regards and thanks again

Martin Steele

Hi Martin, I still believe you need to increase your water change % or frequency or both. It certainly will not harm and may do wonders :)

And up to this week about 350 ramshorn snail's Wich breed like crazy.
A large and growing snail population usually suggests overfeeding the fish. The snails feast on the uneaten fishfood and they breed much faster than old age kills them. They are useful for clearing up a tiny bit of uneaten food, but you only get a few snails if the left-overs are minimal. Although that food is eaten, which is better than having it rot away, it comes out as snail poop so it still contributes to the waste build-up. So you need to minimise the amount that the fish don't eat.

Back