• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Praziquintrel

Martin steele

Hi all i have a 60 litre aqurium and keep loosing fish the latest my saffron tailed female guppy. The zebra danios keep on Gill flicking and i have had losses with my neon tetras they seem to have developed wierd lumps and bumps on there bodies.

With the latest loss a pregnant female guppy she seemed alright on minute and then she just lost interest.

On examination she looks as though she had hemoraged internally.

I have been using fluke solve (praziquintrel) to absolutely no avail.

Can someone recommend a medication that will actually work i have a few snail's in the tank Wich could be removed so copper based meds are not out of the question but i would prefer an invert friendly option.Oh the female guppy that has just passed did not show any sighns of Gill flicking or anything else for that matter.

Hoping someone out there can help me and my fish.

Kind regards Martin Steele

Okay, do you know the water parameters?

Do you replace the filter media once a month or clean it once a month? what filter is it?

Water perameters are pH is 6.16 but i have just tested for TDS and got a reading of 760 ppm how the hell did it get so high. I will be back in a bit with individual gh kh reading. I add a little karswasser to my water change along with bicarb but i literally have no idea where that read has come from could it be fluke solve?????.

Hi all i have a 60 litre aqurium and keep loosing fish the latest my saffron tailed female guppy. The zebra danios keep on Gill flicking and i have had losses with my neon tetras they seem to have developed wierd lumps and bumps on there bodies.

With the latest loss a pregnant female guppy she seemed alright on minute and then she just lost interest.

Can someone recommend a medication that will actually work i have a few snail's in the tank Wich could be removed so copper based meds are not out of the question but i would prefer an invert friendly option.Oh the female guppy that has just passed did not show any sighns of Gill flicking or anything else for that matter.

Contact Mark Neil at Discus Studio Scotland. He stocks all the latest scientific medications from Manaus Aquarium Products Ltd in Germany. The latest of these is a product called Excosal. A general application for undiagnosed or unspecified fish ailments. I know people who have used to excellent effect on all their fish. Click on the link below to go to his website.
https://discus-studio.com/

Water perameters are pH is 6.16 but i have just tested for TDS and got a reading of 760 ppm how the hell did it get so high. I will be back in a bit with individual gh kh reading. I add a little karswasser to my water change along with bicarb but i literally have no idea where that read has come from could it be fluke solve?????.

Yes could be the Fluke Solve, which clearly is not working. If I were you I would start doing 50% water changes for the next five days to remove all trace of the meds you have been using, this should also reduce your TDS by at least half.

What is the TDS reading of your tap water?

Do you filter your water through a HMA (Heavy metal axe) filter

Or contact Dr Fiona Mcdonald

https://www.fish-treatment.co.uk/help-information/fluke-solve/

She developed Fluke Solve with here team... :) In my case, she replied personally and she kept asking questions to get to me situation was extremely helpful in the end...

dr Fiona!! 😍 I love you... Tralalalal.. 😍😍💪

Flubendazole is an alternative option to Praziquantel

Full details of your tank and inhabitants would be useful.
It sounds as if you have three different health problems with your various fish species; that suggests a problem with the tank overall, leaving the fish susceptible to various diseases. Hence @Melll asking about maintenance, and @REDSTEVEO suggesting a medication for various unidentified diseases.
In your situation, I would order the meds immediately, then do a large water change.
Then post some more information here, with pics if possible.
Repeat the water change daily until the meds arrive, and check for responses to your extra details here.

Hi Melll im not to sure how to use this site but here goes.

Yes i can test for ammonia nitrate and nitrite.I will run tests and get back to you.

This afternoon i used my TDS metre and got a reading of 670 ppm.

Then i told you i would do individual gh kh reading.

Isn't it always the way when you have a problem difficult to solve another bloody problem comes up to bite you on the ass.

Using my API test kit i cannot get a kh reading
on the water in question.Nothing zilch zero,i have run a test on my main tank water and came up with 3 degrees of karbonet hardness but i can't understand why i am not getting a read from my 60 litre.It didn't even turn another colour so what's happening when i know i have added bicarb to my water change.Another issue i need to clarify is the gh this is coming in at 7 degrees wich corriilates to a little under 140 ppm.Yet after a 50 % water change this afternoon my TDS metre tells me that there is 420 ppm.Could this be organic waste in the water im confused to say the least.

Regards Martin Steele

Hi red stevo.

I am trying to remember all the comments raised in this conversation as i don't know how to reply to them on a case by case basis.I will get in touch with the guy in Scot land thank you for the lead.My tds reading of tap water is 70 /80 ppm. The water round here is quite soft.

Hi sparkweasel thanks for your reply and will send a detailed list of tank and inhabitants to morrow.

Regards Martin Steele

.Another issue i need to clarify is the gh this is coming in at 7 degrees wich corriilates to a little under 140 ppm.Yet after a 50 % water change this afternoon my TDS metre tells me that there is 420 ppm.Could this be organic waste in the water im confused to say the least.
Yes, it could. TDS is total dissolved solids, so it includes hardness and carbonate/bicarbonate, but also everything else, organic waste from fish and plants, decomposing uneaten food, fertiliser meds, and anything else in there. If it's increasing more than you expect from what you're adding it's probably due to waste build-up and suggests you need more or bigger water changes.

Last edited:
i don't know how to reply to them on a case by case basis.
If you highlight a section of a post* a little box appears marked "quote". Click on that and your reply will start with that section - like this reply does.
* Drag your mouse pointer across it if you're on a PC. Not sure how you do it on a smartphone, can some-one advise?

Back