• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Practical application of lean fertilizer dosing

plantnoobdude

Thank you @Wookii and @MichaelJ
Here are the details:

Tank 1 (20 gallons)
Filter - Aquaclear 70 (300 gph max) - set at minimum flow rate (don't know the actual flow rate).
Light - Chihiros wrgb2 (60 cm, 67W) - 100% red, 50% green and 70% blue.

Tank 2 (10 gallons)
Filter - Aquaclear 30 (150 gph max) - set at minimum flow rate (don't know the actual flow rate).
Light - Chihiros rgb Aplus (45 cm, 35W) - 100% red, 55% green and 80% blue.

Tank 3 (4 gallons)
Filter - Dymax slim flo 120 (120L/h or roughly 32 gph max) - set at maximum flow rate (don't know the actual flow rate).
Light - Chihiros wrgb2 (30 cm, 33W) - 75% red, 35% green and 55% blue.

Tank 4 (5 gallons)
Filter - Dymax slim flo 120 (120L/h or roughly 32 gph max) - set at maximum flow rate (don't know the actual flow rate).
Light - Chihiros rgb (60 cm, 50W), older model - Full intensity.

You can get an idea about water flow and surface agitation from this video (I posted earlier). Keep in mind that some of the filters were not cleaned for almsot 3 weeks when I made this video, particularly the 4 and 5 gallons tanks.

Jeez, in my high tech I struggled around 80% lol. I'm gonna have to try and inch up the strength of the lights when I beat the algae in my tank. spirogyra... nasty stuff.
at your values you should have around 150~200 par according to @reefaddict chihiros par readings.

MichaelJ

Hi @Sudipta Thanks for the details! Even at minimum flow it doesn't look like your lacking circulation there - even at the substrate level I see leaves swaying... I think I might pull the trigger and get one of those Chihiros wrgb2.

Anyway, I have to stop over soon to check out your tanks! Can't wait! Absolutely stunning!

Cheers,
Michael

PS: Hey, 10 seconds in I see an Anubias with a yellow leaf and a leaf with some Green Spot Algae!? This tank clearly got CO2 and too much light issues :lol::lol::lol:

erwin123

I am wondering how to improve my tank photographs... the plants in Sudiptas photos are evenly illuminated

When I try to take photos, I find that plants that are nearer the water surface get more like and a 'brighter' while plants near the substrate are 'darker' This is despite the fact that I am using 2 x WRGB2 - one in front and one at the back of the tank, which should reduce the amount of shadows etc.

When taking photos, do you add extra lights to evenly illuminate all the plants? Can you share your photography techniques?

Sudipta

Jeez, in my high tech I struggled around 80% lol. I'm gonna have to try and inch up the strength of the lights when I beat the algae in my tank. spirogyra... nasty stuff.
at your values you should have around 150~200 par according to @reefaddict chihiros par readings.

@plantnoobdude these are some PAR measurements I did in early January this year.

Tank 1

20220107_191059.jpg

Tank 2
20220107_190904.jpg

Tank 3
20220107_190213.jpg

Tank 4
20220107_190100.jpg

Spirogyra is quite a stubborn algae. Tank 3 was pretty badly affected by spirogyra last summer (I was not doing regular water changes and tank maintenance). I tried to treat with excel and H2O2, it didn't work. I also lowered the light intensity but nothing happened. I even removed most of the badly affected plants along with doing all these chemical treatments and playing with light intensity, nothing worked for me. I finally tried API algaefix and it worked like magic, there was not even a single strand of spirogyra left after couple of weeks and it never returned back since then. I followed the guidelines on the bottle for dosing. I had some baby apistos in this tank and they were not affected by this treatment.

Sudipta

Even at minimum flow it doesn't look like your lacking circulation there - even at the substrate level I see leaves swaying...
Hello Michael,
Yes you are right. The flow and surface agitation in all my tanks are quite decent.

Anyway, I have to stop over soon to check out your tanks! Can't wait! Absolutely stunning!
Thanks 🙂. I guess then I have to hide all my CO2 cylinders. 🤣🤣

Last edited:

Sudipta

I am wondering how to improve my tank photographs... the plants in Sudiptas photos are evenly illuminated

When I try to take photos, I find that plants that are nearer the water surface get more like and a 'brighter' while plants near the substrate are 'darker' This is despite the fact that I am using 2 x WRGB2 - one in front and one at the back of the tank, which should reduce the amount of shadows etc.

When taking photos, do you add extra lights to evenly illuminate all the plants? Can you share your photography techniques?
Hello @erwin123
I use my cellphone camera most of the time when taking pictures of my tanks. I don't do anything special, no extra lights or whatsoever. I simply maintain some distance from the tank when taking pictures of the whole tank and try to angle (slightly up or down) the phone in such a way that the lights above the tank don't shine directly on the camera and change the exposure. This simple trick does the job for me.
You should also try to turn off other lights in the room, stray light from other sources will affect camera's auto exposure function.

Last edited:

plantnoobdude

@plantnoobdude these are some PAR measurements I did in early January this year.

Tank 1

View attachment 187347

Tank 2
View attachment 187349

Tank 3
View attachment 187350

Tank 4
View attachment 187351

Spirogyra is quite a stubborn algae. Tank 3 was pretty badly affected by spirogyra last summer (I was not doing regular water changes and tank maintenance). I tried to treat with excel and H2O2, it didn't work. I also lowered the light intensity but nothing happened. I even removed most of the badly affected plants along with doing all these chemical treatments and playing with light intensity, nothing worked for me. I finally tried API algaefix and it worked like magic, there was not even a single strand of spirogyra left after couple of weeks and it never returned back since then. I followed the guidelines on the bottle for dosing. I had some baby apistos in this tank and they were not affected by this treatment.
if all else fails, I will try some API algaefix. I was recommended it by @Happi as well. the problem with spiro is that its not affected at all by healthy growing plants lol, It'll happily attack the happiest of all plants in my tank. at this point, it's basically the only algae I have.light has been reduced to 40-25-40% that coupled with more floaters and lower collumn macro dosing seems to be helping.