• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Power head advice please

Frenchi

hi
I was going to buy a new filter for a 250 litre tank but instead I decided to go down the powerhead route instead. I have 2 approximately 1000 lph filters on there but still not enough movement in my opinion so rather than disturb all my setup I thought a good powerhead would do the same job.. My question is what size to get without blowing my fish out of the water plus causing a hurricane to the plants
Tank size is 4ft long and 250 litre
Thanks

Mick

Hi I am using this from ebay [800GPH Circulation Pump Wave Maker Marine Powerhead Mount For Aquarium SY] in a 140cm long tank.
No hurricane, fish dont fly around (lol) super quiet, easy to clean, and affixes to glass with a very strong grip.
Also @ a great price. All that if you don't mind the waiting...

But, does a power head cater for the lack of flow of a filter? I suppose it should...

Hi, I too stock Harlequin Rasboras and Cardinal Tetras.
The guards are around the propeller and on the frond you there is an opening about fish cannot swim in against that current for sure.
Also, the surrounding guards are tight enough so certainly fish won't be sucked in.
The fins on the propeller are very short also.
To conclude no fish were mashed from the powerhead whatsoever.

My only regrets are that I did not order two of these pumps to save on shipping and have one for backup...

I ended up with the fluval cp3 2800lph it does seem to do the job I just hope the fish get use to it :) .. It makes it a hard time feeding them though ..

Turn it off at feeding time mick ;), if the fish find it too much you can run it on a timer while the co2 is on to give the fish a bit of down time.
That's the answer :) I feed normally before co2 comes on anyway so I would only have to switch off once, on a night I feed frozen or live food by that time the co2 has gone off .. Perfect cheers :)

Another thought was to put a dimmer switch on the powerhead but was unsure if this would work ?

Back