• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

power cut

Pinkmummy79

Hi, we are having a power cut at the moment and the estimated time for power to be back on is 8.30 tonight which will be 4 hours the tank will have had no lights or filtration etc, I've just finished a 50% water change and maintenance on one external filter and dosed my macro solution, just wondering how this may effect the fish, plants any anything else,
thanks

Plants will be fine. Fish will be fine for now but the bacteria in your filter will suffer most. If too many bacteria die you might get a small nitrite peak and your fish will suffer from that. So most important is to monitor NO2 the next few days. Using a battery powered air pump inside your filter will keep them alive but I guess this advice is a little late now. When the power outage is only 4 hours I think the damage will be neglectible;)

A couple of months ago I had a scheduled power cut of 8 hours and everything was fine.
Tested the tank daily for a week after and suffered no spikes at all :)

we had a power outage from 8am til 7.30pm why they replaced/repaied the main cable to our road. All the fish were ok, filter was fine after as well which surprised me as tested the water every 12 hours for the following week, did not have any spikes but did do a water change mid week after the power cut. but all fish and plants survived . it was winter as well but the tank stayed warm enough as well, which is what i was concerned about as well.

If your filter is external and has a priming pump on it, cycle that a bit - it will refresh the water inside the canister and give the bacteria a better chance :).

Thankfully all is back on earlier than expected so I'll keep an eye on the critters for a while, Yo-Han, the battery powered air pump sounds intriguing, how would this work? Do you mean a fully Submersible pump with enclosed battery compartment?:)
Thanks for your reply too MirandaB that's always good to know cheers

Back