• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Potential new project - L Shaped 850L tank

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hi,

I've potentially got a chance to scape an 850L L shaped tank that needs a bit of tlc.

Anyone want to give me their impressions on the best method of filter intank and outtake placement for good flow.

I'm planning dual external filters 2000 lph. However i'm wondering if placing and intake and outtake at each end of the "arms" will lead to cancellation of flow at the angle. Suggests or experience of such shaped tanks appreciated.

Best Regards,
John

Maybe best to have inflow in the center pointing towards each arm with outflows in the back corners if that makes sense.

would leave a deadspot in the central area would it not?

to clarify the look the viewing side is with the "point" side out.

would leave a deadspot in the central area would it not?

to clarify the look the viewing side is with the "point" side out.
Thinking about it more, probably, could be difficult to find the best layout for in/ outflows maybe both outflows pointing towards the "point" with the inflows either side of them outflows angled slightly.

I'd treat them as separate areas and have 2defined systems, 1 for each section. Then I'd run a spraybar along the back at the top firing back to front glass and the intakes in the far corners against the wall.

If you have a dead spot in the actual corner, stick a small power head on the very corner firing into the outside edge of the corner where the glass meets

Thinking about it more, probably, could be difficult to find the best layout for in/ outflows maybe both outflows pointing towards the "point" with the inflows either side of them outflows angled slightly.

that was my first idea but you would get cancellation of flow when they meet. I could try and bounce the flows a bit I suppose. But the flow back to the intake/outtake area I think would be mostly done by the "draw" of the intake alone...

I'd treat them as separate areas and have 2defined systems, 1 for each section. Then I'd run a spraybar along the back at the top firing back to front glass and the intakes in the far corners against the wall.

If you have a dead spot in the actual corner, stick a small power head on the very corner firing into the outside edge of the corner where the glass meets

That would need about 3m of spraybars, leave a deadspot in the middle corner (remember the point is on the viewing side) and i'm not sure if i'd like the look.

hmm..... ponder ponder....

2 spray bars on one end pane, one above the other blowing across the surface. Below this 2 power heads, one above the other firing down the tank. The unidirectional current created should travel round the corner. The inflow pipes are at the other end at low and mid heights, helping the flow somewhat........

Maybe:confused:

Custom spray bars with jets at 45* across the centre acrylic or stainless
Both outlets below them one on each side of the point on the back wall. Or go low tech forget about dead spots and find plants that don't mind them

that might work if I can make sure the spraybars and intakes would be somewhat invisible or hard to see, especially since they would basically be placed at the focal point. i could also adjust hole locations on the spray bar to give more flow down to the fronts.... might be too complex thou. best to try and keep it simple.

Back