• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Popular substrate?

I have been using inert substrates for years, sand, gravel cat litter etc but, I want to try one of the more advanced ones now.
The problem I have is - living on an island (Guernsey) every thing has to be imported so 25kg of substrate is going to cost double its value to import!!
However my friends daughter has moved to the UK & my friend takes his car across the water every few months to visit her.
So apart from wanting the substrate I also need an outlet near Southampton?

Hi Foxfish, Aquajardin have a store near to Southampton and have a good range of substrates including the ADA soils. Worth checking out if you're in the area.

I'm currently using Florabase Columbo with good results although I found the grain size a bit large for my liking.

Cheers

Dan

Dan Walter said:
Hi Foxfish, Aquajardin have a store near to Southampton and have a good range of substrates including the ADA soils. Worth checking out if you're in the area.

I'm currently using Florabase Columbo with good results although I found the grain size a bit large for my liking.

Cheers

Dan

There two different sizes ;) i use the smaller of the 2 and looks great in a nano. Very happy with it to

Also used ada and was very pleased with that also.

im using red sea substrate at the moment with the jbl manado on top only problem with the jbl is that doesnt matter how much you wash it there is still dust everywhere :(

Inert for me.

I just honestly don't see the sense in paying out lots of $$$ for "highly marketed" substrate.

I have always used inert and the last 5 years inert with EI and the results are outstanding. I couldn't improve upon it.

Sorry.....but I see these "soils' as the Cabbage Patch Dolls of this decade.

Tropica/Tetra/JBL/Sera substrate (or home made) capped with quartz gravel (try and find Dennerle if you want other colors than white), crypts grow better than in ADA soils for example (tested).

Mike

Back