• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Poplar Bark

zozo

Since we have no seperate Hardscape Material Section i was wondering where to post this. And since Hardscape is the backbone of the aqauscape i guess this is the next best place.. 🙂

Anyway, i was wondering, mainly we read strip bark from wood.. But when walking the woods i notice bark aint just bark, i come across types of bark that could definitively have soem gorgious aqauscaping potential. As in the TT for example Poplar bark. For example the Populus Nigra and especialy on the large older trees. They grow extremely big and are often cut down because they get way to big can easily be blown over in a storm and form a potential hazard if it grows near populated areas. I have a little forest near my home littered with this tree and regularly one fall over. After a while it starts shedding its bark and than it becomes interesting.

I know poplar wood is a safe hardwood that can be used, poplar leaves are in the shrimp comunity trade as welcom addition to a shrimp tank.

But the bark? This one triggers my curiousity the most.

Black-Poplar-Native-Bark.jpg

Knipsel.JPG

Once it is fallen off, i notice it is extremely thick and dense, it has a very hard wood like structure. And extremely beautifull color pallete when wet.

This is a cross section from a cut tree to see how solid this bark is.
gra-section-of-a-recently-fallen-tree-stump-E61RBF.jpg

I've already used this bark as scaping material for an emersed setup in my little wardian case.
This is from one piece 30cm long about 3 to 4 cm thick and cut and glued back together to create this shape.
Dry it is kinda grey and dull (Hence Black poplar) it was i do not for how long on the forest floor and still in remarkable good condition and surpriced how hard and solid it actualy is.
dsc_0199-jpg.jpg
But when wet it realy lights up and shows a very intriguing texture in different browns.
dsc_0204-jpg.jpg

Anyway, lately (2 days a go) i did my stroll through the woods and stumbled upon a huge black poplar blown over maybe a 20 metre long tree on the forest floor. And it wont take long there will be tons of bark pieces for the picking.

Wondering since the wood and leaves are ok to use.. If there are any, arguments? Not to use its bark submersed as aqauscaping material. It would be a pitty, because it is in one word GORGIOUS! 🙂
And if not, it still is a welcom scaping material for anything emersed.. So no energy wasted sharing all this.. :thumbup: Definitively keep an eye on the forest floor for fallen poplars boys and girls..

Imagin the huge slabs of bark that will fall off an old poplar like this when it comes down.
TreeringboringJFriedman.jpg

Last edited:
Bark is often used in terraria, underwater i am afraid it'won't last that long ( though maybe longer than the lifespan of most scapes).

That's what i notice in todays aqauscaping scene, temporary scapes lasting only a few months is a common trend. And seeing the density and hardness of this bark type there are quite some potential missed oppertunities that could make that little difference everybody is looking for. SInce i only discovered it myself lately, i yet not have long time experience with this. But i think it has huge long lasting potential, it's not a bark that you break with your hands, you realy need a saw to work with it. It is very hard.. 🙂

It has got very nice texture to it. I would guess it will need soaking to sink, so I'd soak it in a bucket with daphnia as a test - if they do ok I should imagine it's fine for shrimp etc. too.

I found a lovely piece of what I'd guess was oak bark, in a broad. I washed it and added it to my tropical tank and it's taken 10 years to fall apart. It must have been an inch thick to begin with and has taken longer to erode than my driftwood. I only have a couple of wood eaters in there but think people worry too much about things degrading. I'd happily add a nice chunk of bark again if I find one, though it would probably overwinter in the water butt first.

Hi all,
Looks really good. I've used <"Robinia pseudoacacia"> bark a bit, it lasts fairly well and is similarily rugged. The main problem is getting it to stay submerged, as bark is pretty buoyant.

The pictures have gone from <"this thread"> (on Plecoplanet) but you can see my post, and thegeeman's comments, towards the bottom of page 2.
Very smart fish (from the photos on PC). The wood looks familiar. Is that one of those bits of holey wood that I gave a while back? if it is is it looks like Robinia wood.

cheers Darrel

Yeap its a piece you gave me. Its never sunk so floats around my 6ft all day. Never thought about floating caves before but now the 325,s and the Queens spawn in them.
cheers Darrel

Last edited:

Indeed very simmular, found a local Tree ID site with several search filters one is Rugged Bark, there i saw te Robinia.. Also a wallnut looks very alike from the outside.

The main problem is getting it to stay submerged, as bark is pretty buoyant.

Didn't think of that one.. Yet have to find a few loose pieces, the fallen poplar i found was still relatively fresh.. Have to wait til it starts shedding before i can collect some. Than i'll see how long it taes to soak. Other possibillity is, because it has a relative flat back side it could be glued to vertical surfaces e.g. back panel or rocks. Good thing is the bark sheds off in rather narrow strips, makes it very easy to create branched structures from several pieces.
As i did with that 1 piece i found i used in the wardian case also glued to the backpanel glass. 🙂

It definitively has a lot potential.

Back