• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Poor plant health (pinholes, melting from the bottom)

palcente

Hi, I have my 100 litre tank that has been running around one year and I had some issue with algae, but I think I am getting that under control.
My tank is 60cm wide and 40 deep. I have WRGB2 light running 7 hours per day at 16% power.
I inject enough co2 to get checker lime green even at the substrate when the light is on.
I am dosing EI daily and used recipes for my liquids from the calculator on UKAPS.

I add KNO3, KH2PO4, MgSO4 in macro and trace in micro.

The problem I am facing is with the tall stem plants.

The bottom leaves have issues - pinholes and yellowing (from the veins outwards) - eventually melting away.

I took some pictures here:

What is the problem? Is it not enough light? I run it so low as I was battling algae... Should I just restart the tank ?

I think you should start w increasing the light as you said, with EI nutrient deficiencies seem unlikely

What is the problem? Is it not enough light? I run it so low as I was battling algae... Should I just restart the tank ?
Doubt it's to little light, I could be wrong. In good water conditions plants adapt to their surroundings, light is simply the driver.

Easiest way to find out is slowly increase light intensity and if algae, plant melt and oblivion follow then I was right.

The plants generally look healthy, so it would suggest their getting enough light. The unhealthy leaves are low down in the tank where co2 levels will be the lowest. I'd probably review the flow in the tank and make sure these area's in particular aren't being starved of carbon dioxide.

Last edited:
Back