• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pond soil and Tropica soil

latheaxe

Is anyone using pond soil? Was thinking of using pond soil with a top layer of Tropica soil. Any views for or against it?

I haven't tried it but would think you'll need quite a thick layer of Tropica to stop the pond soil diffusing into the water. That or a layer of sand in between. Just because of the Tropica grain size.

I’ve used it on my 350 litre as per that thread and topped it with plastic mesh then small gravel
It’s low tech but been running for years now without any issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Using pond soil, I had bombastic Sagittaria subulata and Limnobium laevigatum growth. I covered it with gravel and there was no colouration, no algae and minimal lighting. I don't think I really changed the water. Some of it is very good indeed. It just depends upon the brand. Mine looked like a dark compost. Fantastic stuff.

Last edited:
I have Growise Aquatic Compost in mesh bags, mixed with a little coarse sand and some pea gravel. It's capped with coarse sand. Plants are growing well and no algae (only using fairly low light). Would do the same again happily.
Substrate.jpg

Back