• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pond Moss

lawrencezarb

I have moss growing in my pond near the filter outlet.

Would this moss be suitable to use in my aquarium?

Have alway's tried to refrain from introducing pond plant's,fishes,out of fear of introducing thing's like gill flukes,fish lice,anchor worm's,planaria.
Perhap's my fear is misplaced but the fear is real.

Hi all,
Have alway's tried to refrain from introducing pond plant's,fishes,out of fear of introducing thing's like gill flukes,fish lice,anchor worm's,planaria. Perhap's my fear is misplaced but the fear is real.
There will definitely be Planaria in the moss, and quite likely Leeches as well. I think you are mainly fairly safe from other fish parasites.

I tend to just give it a wash and then leave it in a margarine carton of water over-night, but if you put the moss into carbonated water for approx. 30 minutes before adding it to the tank it should be pretty effectively sterilized.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, There will definitely be Planaria in the moss, and quite likely Leeches as well. I think you are mainly fairly safe from other fish parasites.

I tend to just give it a wash and then leave it in a margarine carton of water over-night, but if you put the moss into carbonated water for approx. 30 minutes before adding it to the tank it should be pretty effectively sterilized.

cheers Darrel

Great Tip, would never have thought of using fizzy water as a sterilizer.

Back