• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please help

worthyfella

I'm 3 weeks into a new aquarium and have a serious brown hair algea, it's everywhere.
I removed it but it's back in 24 hrs. I feel like tearing it all down and starting again! What do I do?
I've also found what I believe to be a bladder snail. Is this a problem?

Attachments

• 20240919_123012.jpg
    20240919_123012.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240919_123007.jpg
    20240919_123007.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240919_123002.jpg
    20240919_123002.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
Looks like Diatoms to me, so normal in a new setup. I had it like this in a new tank once. I would remove with a toothbrush etc and waterchanges. It should naturally reduce as your tank matures.

Are you dosing ferts? Some of your plants look a bit pale / yellow, but it might be the photo.

For people to assist you further, you will need to provide more details. Is it a low-tech tank? (no co2), what are you using for water circulation? Fertiliser? Are you using Tap Water - is it hard or soft (GM) / high or low PH, KH, how long is your lighting period per day, what strength is the lighting?

My details as requested,
200 litre aquarium
56, watt led
Sunsun 704b filter
Set up 20 days old
Last 3 water readings are;
14/09/24 ammonia 0.50ppm
Ph 6.6ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm

16/09/24 ammonia 0.50ppm
Ph 6.6ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 15ppm

18/09/24 ammonia 0.50ppm
Ph 6.6ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Nitrate 10ppm

Each time I have changed 40% water and added 50ml api quick start and 30 ml API aque essential.

My substrate is miracle grow performance organics capped with sand.

That looks like classic new tank diatoms/algae. All perfectly normal but it's important to ensure flow throughout is good and that you remove the algae prior to WC days.
I'd potentially start by doing 50% water changes every few days and adding in the required ferts to feed the plant. Lower the light intensity but ensure you have 6-8 hours of photoperiod.

Hi all,
Looks like Diatoms to me, so normal in a new setup. I had it like this in a new tank once. I would remove with a toothbrush etc and waterchanges. It should naturally reduce as your tank matures.
That looks like classic new tank diatoms/algae.
Yes, that looks like the filamentous diatom <"Fragilaria (Synedra)">.
I've also found what I believe to be a bladder snail. Is this a problem?
The only problem is that you only have one. Ignore what any-one else tells you they are an <"unalloyed good thing">.
Are you dosing ferts? Some of your plants look a bit pale / yellow, but it might be the photo.
They do.
Actually advised to @worthyfella on 11th September <"My personal experience so far.........">.

cheers Darrel

Your tank is still cycling, as we can see ammonia and nitrite, once this has finished then it needs to mature which will take many many months. Adding lots of stem plants should help as suggested by Darrel.

I only have experience with co2 medium energy planted tanks, so someone else may be able to assist more on your fert regime.

Back