• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please help

nayr88

:banghead:

Hi all,

I've had this hanging around from a week after set up to now.
I can't seem to shake it! Even removing large amounts manually dailey.

Here's some details

I do 10% Dailey water changes
The filter is 700lph via spray bar
Dailey dosing EI - TNC complete 2ml per day same time every day and well before lights on.
Co2 has the drop checker green before lights on and goes off an hour before lights out.
Light is a chihiros LED that's turned down to second from last setting. On for 8hours.

I have around 7 Amano shrimp and 2 gobys and they can't keep up.

Tanks been set up since late December

Attachments

• IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 195
This is probably a filamentous diatom called Synedra.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23-algae/84947-brown-diatom-id-pics.html

When I had it, I searched the internet and found no solution. People with this problem didn't come back to update the threads, or just reported that they were gone without saying how.
It seems to like a tank that is in unstable state. And a newly set up tank is one of that.

I don't find Amano shrimp or Oto cats touch it much. The only way to get rid of it is (IME) waiting for it to disappear on its own which is probably about a month or so. How long have you had it?

In the meantime, I would regularly suction it off the plants to save them from being smothered and try to oxygenate the water after lighting/CO2 period to promote good bacteria.

:banghead:

Hi all,

I've had this hanging around from a week after set up to now.
I can't seem to shake it! Even removing large amounts manually dailey.

Here's some details

I do 10% Dailey water changes
The filter is 700lph via spray bar
Dailey dosing EI - TNC complete 2ml per day same time every day and well before lights on.
Co2 has the drop checker green before lights on and goes off an hour before lights out.
Light is a chihiros LED that's turned down to second from last setting. On for 8hours.

I have around 7 Amano shrimp and 2 gobys and they can't keep up.

Tanks been set up since late December
You say second from last setting? Are you saying you have hit the dimmer once?
To me that looks like you've hit it once which would also tell me you have whayyyyyy to much light! I have the chihrios a series and mines only on for 4 hours.

They are a very powerful light bud. Half your timer on the lights and you should start to dissappear soon enough.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

@PlantedBows - thanks for the the reply.
yes for the picture the light is on high.
Im going to bring it down to 6 hours on low. It's so irritating as it's making the glosso grow leggy and the overall growth of the plants very slow for a high tech tank. This is my 1st experience with LED lighting and I may have been a bit confident to start with and that's what has introduced this crud.

@xim - thanks for your help, I'll continue to remove it as often as possible. It's so annoying as I'm not the most patient and have had really nice tanks for years and then I hit this. Sure I'll beat it soon enough

It's all about balance buddy! It has took me years to get the balance right and I still feel I'm a long way off. My light is on the second from highest and I get the odd bit of algae here and there. I think I might have to reduce my light even more as they are really powerful lights

:)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I have the same light. The 60cm one and managed to carpet montecarlo in a matter of weeks on full power (I had a lot of it to begin with)

Things turned sour for me as I continued to add dry microfertilisers in to my very soft tap water. The plants became stunted and the Monte Carlo went brown and BBA grew on the dying patches. Eventually the tank became infested with lots of different types of algae. This is the third time this has happened to me. It took me a while to make the connection because of other changes I was making but on paper, the plants had everything they needed.

I'm now on my fourth attempt, this time I'm using soil and will not be dosing micro fertilisers in to the water column.

When I ceased micro dosing in my 46 gallon tank (which was also soil underlayer) my fish stopped dying and the plant growth exploded.

Perhaps try laying off the micros for a while?

Back