• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please help first time dirting...

Vazkez

Hello guys,

My first post here so I hope I putting it to the right place.
Anyway could some one help me with the compost substrate please. I am 90% sure those two should work but I want to make sure before I start reaping everything off. I have two options here so did some one used any of those as substrate:

http://m.homebase.co.uk/mt/www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=604982&un_jtt_v_unSetCookie=yes

J.inner no.3 based compost

File:John Innes front.jpg - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

J.inner no.3 as well

I just would like to make sure someone used them before.

Thank you very much for your time guys.

Vaz.

Most will contain limestone, and will raise hardness, you could try ericaceous compost, it should be lime free. Or make your own with topsoil, some sand and peat.

If youre in a hardwater area already the limestone will not increase your water hardness futher as there is already a large amount of calcium in the water. I live in a hard water area and use ji3 and even used limestone for hardscape in my tank.

Agree with Ollie, the ericaceous compost in the link looks ok. But you really need to get a list of all ingredients. Beware also they all will release a huge amount of ammonia for a week or so

To Ollie: Thk for the feedback that made me happy. Did you use the Hombase JI3 or other make please??

To Big Tom: Thk vm to you to I might try that if I will not able to find a good compost.

To Darren: Yes that's why I am posting here to make sure I will buy compost which someone used before as I do not want to kill everything in my tank.

Thk again guys :)

John Innes 1-3 will raise hardness and ph but won't 'kill everything'. I've used it before and there are plenty of fish species that will do well in those sorts of parameters, and most plant species will be just fine as well. If you're not keeping obligate soft water fish then JI 1 would be fine - it's the same sort of mix as JI 3 but with less additives.

John Innes Composts explained

Sorry for the highjack :(

Bigtom, did the aqua soil have any effect on lowering ph?

I bought a bag last week and cant decided wether to use tap water (ph 8.2) or ro water

Mark

Sorry for the highjack :(

Bigtom, did the aqua soil have any effect on lowering ph?

I bought a bag last week and cant decided wether to use tap water (ph 8.2) or ro water

Mark
It may lower a little but not significantly. I never noticed it doing so. Just use half tap half ro

Omg so many replies :) Thk guys for the info. Two more questions if I could please:

If I decide to go for the Aqua soil will this do the high ammonium spikes for first few weeks as every soil or it will be fine bcs is made for pounds.

Alo if I add some peat to JI3 ( I know there is already some ) will this help at all? I also planning to run CO2 which will bring the PH slightly down.

Thk all again for the info :)

Omg so many replies :) Thk guys for the info. Two more questions if I could please:

If I decide to go for the Aqua soil will this do the high ammonium spikes for first few weeks as every soil or it will be fine bcs is made for pounds.

Alo if I add some peat to JI3 ( I know there is already some ) will this help at all? I also planning to run CO2 which will bring the PH slightly down.

Thk all again for the info :)

I'm pretty sure it will leach ammonia, yes. Westlands do a pond soil which is supposedly mineralised to reduce ammonia leaching but it's another one that contains limestone etc.

JI already contains quite a lot of peat, I can't see adding more having a measurable effect against the amount of limestone in it (better to use the JI 1 mix of you want to mitigate that).

Back