• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please critique my attempt at an iwagumi.

Jimmyc

Hi all. As per the title, could someone please give me some feedback on my silly attempt at an iwagumi scape. I got all excited about doing this one and watched so many YouTube tutorials, but I’m not totally convinced I’ve got it right. This is my third attempt at a scape, I set this up nearly 4 weeks ago now, and it’s currently doing a dark start. Since it’s all covered up I’ve not really seen it since i started it, i was going to attempt at making a pathway, but my best bet is, it’s not as easy as it looks. Being so new to this, i guess I’m just naive? I’m just not convinced with it, and if some of you seasoned pros would like to give me some pointers, I’m all ears.
Thanks
James
P.S i did a dark start with this because my plan is to use Cuba as a carpeting plant, and due to a big diatoms outbreak on a previous tank, i pretty much lost my hairgrass on this tank! So my plan is to try and mitigate it on this new setup.

Attachments

• IMG_9819.jpeg
    IMG_9819.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9818.jpeg
    IMG_9818.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
Certainly not a seasoned pro 😂 but I'll just give my take on it if it helps. Probably completely wrong mind.

I find the main stone quite overpowering where it is and doesn't really link with the right hand side. Also the 90° angle jars a bit on the stone in front of it. Combined with the main stone, I find myself looking at the tank in two halves, maybe not helped by the path area being central in the tank?

Yeah it’s definitely a failed attempt for sure. Also I did rush it! All is not lost, i can always rearrange things, since i got nothing in there. My ice is getting impatient with this and trying to get me to plant it. Thanks for your input it’s much appreciated
James

Yeah it’s definitely a failed attempt for sure. Also I did rush it! All is not lost, i can always rearrange things, since i got nothing in there. My ice is getting impatient with this and trying to get me to plant it. Thanks for your input it’s much appreciated
James

I'm only on my 2nd scape and very much in the trial and error & not putting too much of a style on things. Already seeing things I want to change in the first tank, but I'll live with it for a few months and see how the stems mature.

Nowhere to hide with an Iwagumi though, it's all there in front of you. Probably why I'm avoiding trying one 😂

🤣🤣 i hear ya! I’m the same with my main tank, but everything is growing in so well, i can’t bring myself to alter anything.

Yeah I’ve definitely bitten off more than I can chew with this poor excuse of an iwagumi scape! Chances are I’m gonna take it all out and start with it? Unless someone could point me in the right direction perhaps?

Just my opinion:

The main stone looks great, i would consider moving it slightly to the right, covering the black plug behind the tank. I like The right angle stone location but agree with the point raised above. Maybe have an alternative edge facing upwards? Path between the main stone and stones on right is a good space, I would consider keeping it and only plants small plants in that area. I would consider working/ playing more with the stones on the right. The overall look will soften with plants.

Make sure you show us the tank when you’re finished.

I hope this helps.

Just my opinion:

The main stone looks great, i would consider moving it slightly to the right, covering the black plug behind the tank. I like The right angle stone location but agree with the point raised above. Maybe have an alternative edge facing upwards? Path between the main stone and stones on right is a good space, I would consider keeping it and only plants small plants in that area. I would consider working/ playing more with the stones on the right. The overall look will soften with plants.

Make sure you show us the tank when you’re finished.

I hope this helps.

I wasn't sure if that was the final spot for the tank, if it is I agree about the plug. For me I'd move the big stone a fraction forward as well as right & maybe get a small stone on the "horizon" created to it's left to add more depth.

Back