• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants to stabilize 2 Gallon tank and prevent Algae growth?

Hamzerii

Hello,
I made this 20 x 20 cm tank at the start of the year, but algae took over really bad, it was growing really fast, covering every surface so I gave up and took out all the plants as they were covered with some sort of hair algae.
  • The lights were on for around 6 hours and on the lowest setting. (It's in a high setting for the picture)
  • I didn't do many water changes as there is no livestock yet.
I'm going to try again and replant the tank.

What are some things I should do differently?
- I think I should plant heavily from the start, would this help?

new.jpeg

At the beginning ^
algae.jpeg

(Algae got much worse after this ^)

Also, I had no way of removing the algae from the pearlweed as everytime I'd try to pull out a piece of algae using tweezers, it would pull out the plant with it.

That looks to me like diatoms and water changes is the only thing that can fix it , you can try a fork to clean plants.

But diatoms don't last this long or never have in my case 2 months at most.

Also perlweed as far as I know is a demanding plant which require co2 and high light for optimal growth (I might be wrong)

Apply the below tutorial or get some floating plants!

Nice layout though, the stones with the crevice looks cool. Various house plants are also good for soaking up extra nutrients, though the scale might not match your scheme, I enjoy the look of it.

Back