• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants to cover equipment?

I have a spray bar on the left of "Slow Roast" and then a down pipe and a sticky outy bit that has a floaty surface skimmer jobby.

IMG_20171020_195333.jpg

Any thoughts on plants to hide them? Or just live with it etc etc. I don't have much cash atm so glassware isn't going to fly until next year.

Would something like vallis work?

Just thinking about this so its no bother if now :)

Si

Fast growing stems like bacopa, hygrophilia, pennywort will fill a space quickly and cheaply. I'm sure vallis will work too but I've avoided it as I use liquid carbon.

Think your fast growers would benefit from the spray bar raised level to just under the surface,vallis would work and less likely to impede your flow

Look up mattenfilter concept.. :) You do not need to make it from top to bottom, you can leave open space either side not to restrict any flow and make it maintenance free. That way you can create a permeable sponge wall and grow plants onto it. Ferns and mosses for example.. And hide everything behind that wall in the corner..

If you're wanting a vallis-like plant, try helanthium used to be echinodorus, they allegedly handle liquid carbon better. I'm trying some vesuvius but only had it in the tank a couple of days. I'm not sure vesuvius would work as the spirals might distract from your scape but think it came from Augustifolius which is meant to be a prolific mid/background plant depending on your dimensions. Just thought I'd throw a plant in for thinking about.

Personally I'd go with Marcel's idea and have a moss/bucce/whatever wall.

All the best

do vallis not like liquid carbon?

About all true aqautics don't. Tho they can slowly addapt to it. This likely is because Glut is actualy a desinfectand damaging organic cell walls, true aqautics living exclusivly submersed have developed a more fragile cell structure than bog plants, which developed in beeing emersed biggest part of their life. :)

Cabomba and Rotala Walichi are what Im using to cover my equipment. Both are red varieties in my tank, but they’re fast growing, tall and bushy so offer great coverage.

I also have green Cabomba but this is a new addition so still too small to comment on it.

Water sprite would quickly grow to hide the equipment,
Crypt balansae,will take over a corner but is slower to do so.
Both seem unaffected by glut in my low tech tanks.

Back