• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants that will survive large fish

Kitbag

Since recently finding that I have an interest in setting up my first planted tank, I am now also looking at my tropical community tank to see what I can do to increase the number of plants that I have in there.

My community tank is the result of consolidating my tropical collection of tanks so includes the following fish:
  • Buenos Aires tetra
  • Columbian tetra
  • Clown loach
  • Bristlenose catfish
  • Lake tanganyika fairy cichlid
  • Plus others, but I think the above will have the most effect upon the plants
Also the substrate is just sand and not that much of it, so I could look at changing the substrate. There is lots of big wood. The water is very hard. This is a low tech tank all the way. I’m looking at setting up a high tech tank, but this will not be it.

In Germany they have a special category for that called Plant for a "Barsch Aquarium".. Literaly translated "Chichlid Aquarium"

Here is a German webshop with this category search filter, plants listed that are suitable for such setups. Unfortunately they do not have an english translation, but the botanical plant names are international.. :)
https://www.wasserflora.de/aquarienpflanzen/barsch-aquarium-w74

In how far this all holds true, i do not know.. I have no experience with these kind of setups other than goldfish. :)

Hi Zeus, my Clown Loach is over a decade old and a really good digger!

Thanks zozo, I’ll take a look at that link.

If you have troubles with the language, they also offer complete sets with a mix of 10 different plants suitable for Malawi cichlid tanks etc.
https://www.wasserflora.de/p/10-top...und-robustes-set-s5-10wf-a3795.htm?wgruppe=74

You can assamble your own choice from this list.

Anubias barteri var. barteri
Anubias bart. var. nana
Anubias nana GOLDBLATT
Anubias Heterophylla
Anubias congensis
Anubias 'Petite' oder 'Bonsai'
Anubias coffeefolia
Anubias hastifolia
Cryptocoryne wendtii TROPICA
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae
Cryptocoryne ciliata
Ceratopteris thalictroides
Echinodorus Kleiner Bär - Dschungelstar Nr. 2
Echinodorus x barthii Doppelt-Rot
Echinodorus osiris rubra
Echinodorus parviflorus - peruensis
Echinodorus bleheri
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Microsorum pteropus Narrow
Microsorum pteropus
Microsorum pteropus Windelov
Sagittaria platyphyla
Sagittaria Sabulata
Vallisneria americana - asiatica
Vallisneria tortifolia
Vallisneria gigantea
Vallisneria americana Mini twister / Vallisneria twisted
:)

I guess that's about it what they have in collection.. But there seem to be even more..

If you happen to have an LFS that is a Dennerle plant dealer.. I know Dennerle has a pictogram on the plant label that stands for "Barschfest" - Means "Cichlid resistant".. :) I have no example present, but the pictogram/icon on the lable looks like a fish obviously. If it's not on the lable it's no good for such a setup..

Last edited:
Hi zozo, thanks for your help with the list

Thanks sparkyweasel *he said for the first time ever*

I wouldn't worry about only having sand for substrate, just read up about EI or George farmer does a good liquid fertilizer. I tried to save money and went for organic miracle grow capped with sand and it makes a mess every time you move anything which i do far more than I should. If I started again I would probably just go sand.

Back