• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants melting and no growth - help !

@Troi, I don't care about theoretical scientific explanations, I'm not writing for the Daily Scientist here. I've just wanted to talk with you about simple experiments that any 10 year old can do but as far as I see you just want to bash EI with every answer and impose your ideas. Fine with me, I'll spend my time doing other interesting things than argue with you.

Why do you automatically assume that I am bashing EI. I am not. Tom Barr is legend, and EI is very clever and elegant in its execution. Neither am I bashing high-energy tanks, I think when done well they are incredible, Takashi Amano and I are best friends.

Nor am I imposing or even trying to impose my ideas. I wouldn't care less if your favorite colour is pink or blue, we all have different opinions and I respect that, it's what makes us individuals and so interesting.

What I am doing though is challenging preconceived notions that have no basis in scientific fact; which incidentally abound in the planted tank world. I realize this may be perceived as heresy, challenging peoples entrenched belief systems always is, but all I am doing is expressing my opinion.

Judging by the reaction so far, I count my blessings that the Spanish Inquisition no longer exist...or do they?

What ever approach you use to growing aquatic plants the take home message for me at least, from EI dosing is giving plants plants plenty of ferts leads to healthy plants and healthy fish.

Absolutely, right there is no denying that EI leads to healthy plants and in turn healthy fish even at dosing levels far in excess of what is needed to prevent limits to growth, and what is more without giving rise to algae.

All I was trying to get across, and failing miserably judging by the responses so far, is that things don't always go according to plan. Sometimes nature can bite you in the ass, and its not always for the reasons you may have been lead to believe. I will resist repeating myself here, and ask you to please read my much longer previous post for a more in-depth explanation.

Troi... thanks for all the information and advice. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I do appreciate your help and advice in terms I was able to understand. Cheers, David

David...thanks for the encouragement, it's was almost getting to the point where I wasn't sure I wanted to read any further posts on this subject, so I am happy that you found it easy to understand since that was my intention. The following link takes you to some info I have put together for starting up a soil substrate tank, http://ssapa.webs.com/. I don't know whether you'd find it useful or not but it's out there anyway.

Back