• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants looking ropy after three months

techfool

A few months ago I took the plunge and ordered a boatload of plants for my ten gallon.

Since planting, the swords have shed leaves and changed shape from oval leaves to skinny ones. I assume that is adaptation to being submersed. The new leaves are quite twisted, I don't think that's normal.
My pennywort is putting out new leaves but these are very small. The old leaves are melting away.
My crypts did nothing, then became nice and thick, and now getting leggy.

The stems are doing quite well. They were very leggy for a while but with pruning look better.

I dose dennerle bio elixir carbo. I used to think it was glute, but dennerle don't say it's glute. They have carbo booster max which they do say is glute. Maybe I should switch to something that is known to be glute?

I use an aerosol CO2 think where you squirt CO2 into a dispenser. I don't know if that does much.

Ferts: easy-life profito daily.

I don't think I have a nitrogen or phosphate deficiency as I am very overstocked and feed well.

Lighting is stock lighting - a 7 watt LED. I only have that on when I'm home, so about 4.5 hours. Tank does get some indirect sunlight especially in the morning.

In summary, my plants looked okay, died back, looked quite good and are now starting to look a bit "thin". Any idea why and any recs? I don't want to inject CO2. TIA!

A few months ago I took the plunge and ordered a boatload of plants for my ten gallon.

Since planting, the swords have shed leaves and changed shape from oval leaves to skinny ones. I assume that is adaptation to being submersed. The new leaves are quite twisted, I don't think that's normal.
My pennywort is putting out new leaves but these are very small. The old leaves are melting away.

The stems are doing quite well. They were very leggy for a while but with pruning look better.

I dose dennerle bio elixir carbo. I used to think it was glute, but dennerle don't say it's glute. They have carbo booster max which they do say is glute. Maybe I should switch to something that is known to be glute?

I use an aerosol CO2 think where you squirt CO2 into a dispenser. I don't know if that does much.

Ferts: easy-life profito daily.

I don't think I have a nitrogen or phosphate deficiency as I am very overstocked and feed well.

Lighting is stock lighting - a 7 watt LED. I only have that on when I'm home, so about 4.5 hours. Tank does get some indirect sunlight especially in the morning.

In summary, my plants looked okay, died back, looked quite good and are now starting to look a bit "thin". Any idea why and any recs? I don't want to inject CO2. TIA!

Quite simply your plants are suffering from nutrient deficiency. Profito lacks the necessary nutrients for plant growth. As long as you don't use high intense lighting then you won't need co2. Liquid 'carbon' is a good daily tonic for plants. Ensure your plants are getting the nutrients through good dispersion via water flow. Sort out your nutrients and I'm sure your plants will recover in a few weeks after a good prune/cutback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

new leaves are quite twisted, I don't think that's normal.
Hello,
These are all classic symptoms of poor CO2. I suggest you look to address this issue first.
Your CO2 method might have worked with a low plant mass, but as they mass increases the need for CO2 also increases.

Cheers,

Cheers, I overdid it with the planting. Too many plants, too many varieties. The tank looks as if a crazy person robbed the Tropica nurseries. I like the crypts more than I thought I would so I may go more in that direction. That might make upkeep a little easier too.

Hi,
If you don't want to go the injection route you could try switching to any of the popular glute containing liquids and see how it goes.

Cheers,

Reporting back - easycarbo and dosing macros (aquascaper complete) is showing good results in all four (small) aquaria. I'm winnng the algae battle and plants I was about ready to throw out are looking much stronger. Even the anubias has perked right up. I keep the photo period consistent and on the short side, about four to five hours a day.
Frogbit in the windowsill is getting out of control! Some of the leaves are an inch wide.

Excellent. Glad to hear things are improving.

Remember that by increasing CO2 uptake it will now be necessary to increase your water change (amounts and frequency) and to improve the cleaning regimen, otherwise, the tanks become victims of their own success.

Cheers,

Back