• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants for outside the tank

Palmer92

Hi all,

Firstly this is my first scape(I use this term loosely as I have no idea what I am doing) so bare with me on the stupid question. I have been trying to research some plants to grow in the over flow from my tank but I can't find any information on which plants would be good.

I have an Aquarel Glossy tank with a sump. It has a small over flow box before it heads down to the sump and I would like to plant it to add to the look. I just wondered if there are any plants which can have their roots submerged/base submerged by about 6 inches and would grow out the top. Is there a plant that fits this and is this a terrible idea that I havent realised?

The tank has 2 chihiros lights, its around 4x2x2, has CO2, auto top etc. Dosed with Seachem products regularly as well.

Hopefully thats enough information.

Attachments

• 20210910_160904.jpg
    20210910_160904.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 603
There are lots of plants that will grow as you suggest, most aquarium plants will, lots of fern species, ficus etc. I would be wary about having them grow in the weir/overflow as any blockage could cause your tank to overflow.

Tank looks great BTW.

Makes a lot of sense should have thought of that completely new to sump tanks.

Thank you so much, this sites been a massive help. Still have lots of plans yet.
There are lots of plants that will grow as you suggest, most aquarium plants will, lots of fern species, ficus etc. I would be wary about having them grow in the weir/overflow as any blockage could cause your tank to overflow.

Tank looks great BTW.

Myself i use the transparent top from a old mini propagator with the vent removed as a plant pot and an old extra large mag float cleaner to hold it onto the glass.
i was also wary to place my plant into a HOB as the roots will eventually reach the impellor, i'm probably going to add a larger heavier rooting plant to the pot but i'm not quite sure yet, Monstera or some kind of arrow vine maybe.

I currently have Dwarf Papyrus and Japanese Blue Flag growing submerged. The papyrus is about 20" tall and the blue flag is about 12". As stated above, there a many plants that will graow thhis way.

Firstly your tank looks great. What crypts are those bottom left and middle?

I've been growing Syngonium, Tradescantia and philodendron emersed for a while. More recently I've added Goeppertia insignis and Anthurium andraeanum.
The bit that I've had trouble dealing with is the unsightly planters used to hold the plants. As they don't need substrate you can just suspend them in the tank. I'm not a fan of self promotion but I've not seen it elsewhere so can only point you to my journal. In post 47 there's a picture of the planters I made. They are really discrete so when viewing the tank all you see are the plant roots and above the tank the leaves obscure the planters. They're really secure too so shouldn't allow the plants to break free and block your over flow.

Also have a look at:
A Chocolate Puddle.
Green Pekoe Pond - 40 litres
The Celestial Swamp - A voyage through a flooded forest fringe (Shallow Riparium)

Apologies if I've missed any I'm sure I have but these are a few examples of emersed growth.

Beautiful tanks ScareCrow! Envious...

Her are photos of the planters I made for plants with substrate. I used clear plastic soap caddys lined with plastic canvas to contain the smaller pieces of substrate (eco complete). Instead of the cheap suction cups they came with I used stainless steel hooks to hang them on the tank. I like that they are not as deep as commercially available riparium planters. It makes them less visible. IMG_5204.jpg IMG_5205.jpg IMG_5206.jpg

I second what @ScareCrow said. The tank looks great. Nice combination of plants. Another way to have plants look like they are growing out of the tank is to wrap wire around the cleaned roots and make a hook out of the same wire, then just hang it over the edge. I should say, this is not my idea. It’s something I saw on a YouTube channel called MD Fish Tanks - which is the channel that has inspired me to set up a tank again.

Beautiful tanks ScareCrow! Envious...

Her are photos of the planters I made for plants with substrate. I used clear plastic soap caddys lined with plastic canvas to contain the smaller pieces of substrate (eco complete). Instead of the cheap suction cups they came with I used stainless steel hooks to hang them on the tank. I like that they are not as deep as commercially available riparium planters. It makes them less visible.
Nice DIY :) thanks for sharing.

Back