• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planting into gravel

joker01

Seedling
Please forgive me but this maybe a silly question i am complete novice when it comes to planted aquariums. I have 5mm coarse plain black gravel. Would this gravel be suitable for planting. If so would I need to add anything to it in order to help the plants or can I plant straight into it.

This is the gravel in question

Attachments

• IMG_20171227_132030152_LL.jpg
    IMG_20171227_132030152_LL.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 121
I'm not sure blue gravel is allowed on UKAPS :eek:
However, you can potentially grow plants in marbles so if you add fertz like I've already mentioned you should be fine ;)
Although, I personally would go for a nutrient rich substrate if you are new to planted tanks.
It'll give you more of a buffer against mistakes https://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=guide-to-substrates

If you're really worried about it you could use terra cotta clay pots filled with dirt then topped with your gravel and sink them in the tank. This is a good approach if you keep larger, boisterous fish. What kind of plants are you thinking of going with?

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Tim it is black gravel honest :). I have just ordered some root tabs to put into the gravel as well as normal liquid fertz which I am hoping should be adequate as changing the gravel is an option I want to try and avoid

I have ordered a mixed plant pack with no Co2 and all easy care from Aquarium Gardens. As this is my very first time at a planted aquarium I thought I best stick to something not to hard.

It should be fine, only trouble you might have is the bigger gravel can sometimes be a bit tougher to get the stem plants to stay in initially, so you might have to replant, but once they've grow some roots they'll be fine. Good luck :D

Back